nwest10

Lamination Plate

Has anyone here built their own lamination plates?  I just got a new Angling AI 5" stick bait mold and would really like to make a lamination plate so I can make laminates.  Angling AI doesn't make them and doesn't do custom work.  If you have made one, how difficult is it? 

I make mine out of heavy aluminum flashing. 
It’s cheap, easy to cut, and works well enough 

I do wish that Angling AI made more laminate plates. I’m sending another mold order this afternoon a Stick Bait mold too

Perfect for a laminate plate. As is another mold of theirs I have.

Not a problem I have plenty of flashing

How are you using the flashing?  Do you sandwich it between the plates? How do you shape the injection port to make the plastic only go to one side if you sandwich the flashing between the plates? I've got some thin aluminum flashing that might work.  Thanks for all the replies! 

22 hours ago, Tiderunner said:

I make mine out of heavy aluminum flashing. 
It’s cheap, easy to cut, and works well enough 

I do wish that Angling AI made more laminate plates. I’m sending another mold order this afternoon a Stick Bait mold too

Perfect for a laminate plate. As is another mold of theirs I have.

Not a problem I have plenty of flashing

I wonder if a person could use one of the essential series senko mold laminate plates with that mold since i have one & have never used it because  i have a dual injector? 

The AI mold is 5" x 7" so the lamination plate for the essential won't work.  I have a plate for a fluke mold I have, but it's much smaller also.  I don't have a dual injector and can't afford to buy one right now, but I want to make some laminated senkos.  The fluke mold I have the plate for works great for laminating flukes, but it was machined for that mold and is just as thick as one side of the mold, and has the sprew machined in.  

While I'm no machinist, I imagine it cant be that difficult to produce laminate plates. They're blank stock which molds are cut from.

It seems all that needs to be done is drill the holes so the plate and mold match and cute a sprue into it. I'd say it would make an extra bit of income for whatever company is selling them, with less machine time used.

Those laminate plates would be great for us working slobs that can't afford a $300 dual injector.

One thing I have learned from using the lamination plate for the fluke mold is that you have to make sure the vents at the tail end of the fluke are open when doing the second layer.  I had to start cutting the tips off the tail from the first shot to make sure that it vented when I shot the second layer. Otherwise it would blow hot plastic under the first layer and ruin the whole batch.  When you shoot the second layer it refills where the tips are cut off. 

With the AI mold, you can flip over one side of the mold plate and it fits perfectly as a lamination plate, but would need to have an injection port machined in.  The sprew is more than big enough on one side that it wouldn't need to have a full length sprew machined in. There would also have to be some very small vents machined in, but It would really be easy for them to add this feature to the back side of one of the mold halves and not have to machine a complete lamination plate.  

I'm interested in the flashing, but still don't understand how it would work unless it's sandwiched in between the plates.  Seems like it would be too thin to be applying pressure to without something backing it up? If anyone has a pic of how they use the flashing please post it.  

Thanks again for the comments and advice!  I made a flashing plate yesterday for my stick worm mold and it worked perfectly.  I like that I can make 10 halves in one shot and easily put the halves back in the mold to make the laminate.  Had to get the second shot fairly hot, but they laminated very well and came out perfect.  Thanks again for your help!

1638136380_LaminatePlate.jpg

Laminates.jpg

5 hours ago, nwest10 said:

Thanks again for the comments and advice!  I made a flashing plate yesterday for my stick worm mold and it worked perfectly.  I like that I can make 10 halves in one shot and easily put the halves back in the mold to make the laminate.  Had to get the second shot fairly hot, but they laminated very well and came out perfect.  Thanks again for your help!

Laminates.jpg

Those would sure be deadly around here!! 

6 hours ago, nwest10 said:

Laminates.jpg

Great color! Would you mind if I ask the colorant recipe?

On 1/6/2022 at 9:06 AM, nwest10 said:

Thanks for the pic! It makes more sense to me now on how to use the flashing.  I can do this and produce 10 halves that I can then shoot the other side over.  I'll be giving this method a try! 

That's how I do it pour a butt load of one side on evening  A, the next evening I'll push those halves back into the mold, and shoot the other color. Not the most efficient method, but cheaper than a dual injector.

15 hours ago, Go55 said:

Great color! Would you mind if I ask the colorant recipe?

Well, I can't take credit for a specific recipe on this one.  One side is just some remelt green pumpkin dingers, and the other side is a batch of plum apple I screwed up and had some leftover that I remelted.  Friend of mine had some green pumpkin/plum apple with red flake laminated stick baits he wanted me to try and replicate in a fluke.  I screwed up and dumped some blue flake in it and screwed up about 4 cups of plastic.  So, it turned out to be plum apple with green / red / blue flake.  I made 4 cups of plastisol with I think about 70 drops of plum MF colorant and 30 drops of MF purple to get the color then added large green / blue / red flake.  Since this was my first attempt at using the lamination plate I just used some leftovers I had laying around.  It is definitely a color that works in Texas!  My buddy calls it his "perch color senko"  We all call  him crazy..

It was a little tricky getting the halves back in the mold straight, but I'm happy with the results.  I will say that this Angling AI mold produces an outstanding bait and was well worth the wait.  It also has the rods to make core shot baits, but I haven't tried that method yet.  

2 hours ago, Bassinfool said:

Green pumpkin and purple just flat out catches fish.  Other than being a little tedious placing the halves back in the mold each time laminate plates are about the easiest way to get "perfect" laminated baits.  Good work.

I recently bought a bunch of green pumpkin / purple swirl Senko type lures  They look amazing, but quick question for you guys:  Do you prefer a laminate or swirl? 

For me it is wholly dependent on what type of lure we're talking about. 

Worms, fluke, stick baits, swimbaits- laminate

craws and creatures-swirl with some exceptions for colors that are predicated by being "natural" with a lighter belly and darker top AND will be presented to the fish with that orientation in mind.

• Like 1