william cohen

Spinner vibration

Hello, new guy here. I started making spinner baits in December 2020, mostly safety pin spinners. When I first started I had no clue what I was doing but I knew what I wanted for the outcome.

After I assembled several baits I went to a local park lake to try them out. They all looked good but there was very little spin action. I bent the wire different ways but nothing helped. I used swing blades on them and everything looked good. I swapped out for some small  willow leaf blades and those REALLY had some spin to them.

My blades looked identical to the blades of the factory made baits but laying them flat on a table for comparison I saw the difference.  The swing blades I bought had too much thickness/scoop. They just flopped around on the spin arm. I put a few in my  bench vise and squashed them to about half their depth/thickness. That fixed the problem.

I bought the first swing blades from a Chinese company on eBay. They had only chrome but a kind of hammered/rough finish. Not knowing what I wanted it took me a while to figure out they were called swing blades. This Chinese company was the only one I could find selling them. Now I have found another company and I can get them in gold, chrome and chrome ripple. I don't have to squash these. :-)

So if your still having problems with the blade(s) not spinning, try flattening them some. Match the thickness of a store bought bait or actually use a store bought bait's blade to see is that works.

• Like 1