Jrmeef88

Never made a mold before, looking for suggestions

I’ve been making wooden swimbaits and glide sits for a little while now. Recently I carved out a really nice 2 piece glide that I decided I wants to mold. I’ve never made a mold before so I went out and bought everything I needed (silicone, molding clay, casting resin, micro balloons etc.)

anyway, I decided that I wanted to make a tail fin instead of using a brush tail so I carved the tail fin out of balsa and am going to mold that.

my question is, should I buy a saltwater blend of plastisol or use alumalite flex for the tail fin? I have 0 experience with either product.

For glides you need a bit more rigidity to the tail IMHO. a floppy or soft tail for me really hurts the glide. I have used saltwater plastisol and it is ok and with hardener its better but I prefer Flex urethanes. Lots of companies have them varying in hardness I like flex it 50. These fins are made with it and are very pliable.

bravo6.thumb.jpg.6314a74467fec66ad73ff6128a45ae63.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1