Fishin Big

jig molding

47 minutes ago, Fishin Big said:

Has anyone made their own jig mold? I don't want to spend the money for a do-it type mold as I don't feel I would get my monies worth from it. Basically wanting something home made.

I have heard of some making molds for pouring lead. any info would be appreciated. Thank you.

if your handy with a dremel tool you could make a mold of any hard wood on a budget it will work but may smoke a little bit  but its cheap!  

• Like 1

Yes.  I've made them out of wood, plaster of Paris (POP), hardware store silicon, and more recently out of Durham's Water Putty (DWP).  Each offers pros and cons.  I also bought a Do-It aluminum jig mold and if you're doing multiple pours then this is the way to go as the investment will save you lots of time and frustration.  If you're only doing a few jigs at at time then a home made mold will be ok.  

Edited by Bentrod425
  • Like 1

You can purchase silicone for making molds.

Lots of tutorials on doing this on YouTube.

But for the cost Do-it molds are well worth the money.

Better quality, safer, will last a lifetime.

If this is a one-off custom mold then making your own for prototyping might be all right.

But for any sort of production work having an aluminum mold is just a no-brainer

Edited by Kasilofchrisn
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1