Outlaw4

Laminating Wood

+1 for Titebond.

It usually costs a bit more for Titebond III but it's what I use. Titebond III is slightly stronger than II and rated as waterproof. Titebond II is rated only as weatherproof/water resistant. For a 16 oz bottle, Titebond III is $1-2 more at around $8. Titebond III does take longer to dry, 10 minutes as opposed to 5. Both II and III are good enough for regular size baits. For big baits, saltwater, musky/pike, I would use III for the slightly more strength and better holding up to water penetration which is more likely in those situations. 

http://www.titebond.com/community/the-big-three

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Outlaw4 said:

Curious what guys were having the best luck with laminating wood. I need to laminate some cedar to make make some true 2x2's for some baits i need to turn. In the past i have always just epoxied them, but wondering if there is something easier, faster and better?

Easier, faster, better.... of course would to use cedar milled to the proper dimensions. 

Now I guess you have an abundance of thinner stock to use so lets  laminate.  

Easier about the same but wood glue would be easier as no mixing needing so we gain a few minutes of time.

Faster Epoxy hands down as could turn a laminated piece in short order.  Heck super glue and an activator is used by many turners to instantly bond waste blocks to in progress turned pieces and strength wise more than sufficient.

Better hmm.. what variable is the most important to you? Wood glue is cheaper, faster to apply, but slower to set.  Strength doesn't matter as wood will fail prior to any glue/epoxy used.  Water proof/resistance doesn't matter either in my book as  you have one seriously compromised lure for a glue joint to fail due to moisture intrusion and don't think it is possible under normal fishing conditions to saturate a cedar lure enough to compromise the glue.

Edited by Travis

8 minutes ago, Travis said:

Easier, faster, better.... of course would to use cedar milled to the proper dimensions. 

Now I guess you have an abundance of thinner stock to use so lets  laminate.  

Easier about the same but wood glue would be easier as no mixing needing so we gain a few minutes of time.

Faster Epoxy hands down as could turn a laminated piece in short order.  Heck super glue and an activator is used by many turners to instantly bond waste blocks to in progress turned pieces and strength wise more than sufficient.

Better hmm.. what variable is the most important to you? Wood glue is cheaper, faster to apply, but slower to set.  Strength doesn't matter as wood will fail prior to any glue/epoxy used.  Water proof/resistance doesn't matter either in my book as  you have one seriously compromised lure for a glue joint to fail due to moisture intrusion and don't think it is possible under normal fishing conditions to saturate a cedar lure enough to compromise the glue.

I'd actually be all for milled to exact specs (2"x2") kiln dried western red cedar in this case, but i have not found a place to get reasonably. So that leaves cutting down 4x4's myself or laminating 1x's. 

If you have a good recommendation im all ears.

Heck, while you have it in two parts, groove out the weight/rattle chamber, get the wire in there, before you put it back together (Unless it is going on the lathe I suppose).   

I have done this with a few baits where I don't have the thickness of wood I need.  Put a dab of superglue in two or three spots.  Shape the lure.  Pry it back apart at the center joint.  This allows you to put in internal rattles, wire, weights... and then glue it back together.   Lots of options.

16 minutes ago, Outlaw4 said:

I'd actually be all for milled to exact specs (2"x2") kiln dried western red cedar in this case, but i have not found a place to get reasonably. So that leaves cutting down 4x4's myself or laminating 1x's. 

If you have a good recommendation im all ears.

Milled 2x2 about only time I see it is turning stock at specialty sites  or on Ebay/Etsy, either way not very economical.  Laminating is cheapest option for the typical hobbyist.  I would rather laminate than use the typical home improvement rough 4x4  as a lot of junk wood to sort through to find something to resaw (too much pith) so their goes faster and easier.    

Online is just too expensive usually compared to local so best bet is source from local lumber supplier.  Should have at least #2 and better rough available and typically will offer custom sawing.  Price might work out ok depending on how much time you are spending laminating and making blanks.  Are you currently just gluing up 3/4 stock.