logwrig

Mini and Micro jigs - Questions Galore

Hi! Long time listener, first time caller. And totally new.

I've been reading a lot of different posts and trying to piece together information but it's probably time to just ask.

I got into jig making because I like to fish really light tackle. I really love the bitsy bug jigs (and have read all the posts about the Snootie mold). I'm wanting to make my own micro jigs like that. However, the Snootie mold has been on backorder since last July so I'm going to have to make due.

I've got a 1/8 oz poison tail mold and I can't figure out how to use the weedguard. So first question, what's the strategy that people use to create the base hole for FG-12 guards? I don't have the ability to turn metal or file down a standard pin. I want to order metal stock but wouldn't it just fall out?

Next question - can I use lighter wire hooks in molds that call for heavy wire? I'm looking at the 1/8oz arky from DOIT and it says to use heavy wire hooks. I'm feeling like this should be a decent substitute for the Snootie mold but I'm just guessing.

Finally - if all of this fails, does anyone have any luck creating micro/mini jigs on anything else? I've been looking at the standard weedless ball jig but without the collar, will I still be able to mount a skirt and secure the jig? Or do people usually modify to accept a wireguard when you do something like that?

Let's talk about the poison tail 1/8 oz.  I used to have that mold and found that I could take a piece of regular house romex electrical wiring and strip off the insulation,  I think it was 10 ga., and make pins out of it for that cavity. 

I have some other molds that I prefer to use 90# sevalon or surflon as weedguard.  They don't get painted so I don't have to worry about heating the head.  I fill in the weedguard slot with high temp silicone from Harbor Freight.  I can lay the wire on the silicone, close the mold and pour away.

On the pins, I have had them turned down. Pm me for more info. You can also use a drill that fits the weedguard hole. If the drill is too loose, put some tape on it and the mold halves once closed will hold it in place.

As far as using lighter wire hooks in a mold with heavier wire hooks, by all means yes you can use thinner hooks. You might get some flash at the bottom of the  hook shank, but that can be trimmed off. Good luck, there are a lot of options with many Do-It molds.

logwrig, I have been pouring and tying ultra finesse jigs using that weedless ballhead jig and it can totally be done. Like Cadman said, a drill bit works great for the weedguard hole.

As much as I love the versatility of the weedless ballhead jig, I've been looking into getting a Snootie jig mold as well. While the ballhead is a great finesse profile and is rapidly becoming my Ned Rig alternative, I suspect the Snootie will do much better for pitching into cover and swimming through grass. Just my 2 cents.

FJ-12 weed guards are 5/64".  You should be able to buy brass or aluminum rods at that diameter off amazon or at a hardware store and just cut to length.  At worst - you could even just buy a couple 5/64" drill bits from a hardware store and cut them with a dremel.  There is no magic to the pins - you just need the right diameter.  Obviously something like steel will likely last a little longer as it will resist bending when you pull it out of the jighead should it hold on tight.

As for using a different weight hook - assuming the bend between hooks is identical and everything lines up perfectly between hook and mold - then it will come down to how much different in diameters the hooks are.  In my experience - if you use a smaller dia hook but it's "close" it may work, or you may get lead running down the hook shaft to some extent (and possibly around the hook eye).  If the diameters are "close" you should be able to just peel/scrape the extra lead off the hook with a little effort.  So if you are just making a dozen or so jigs for yourself every now and then -the extra effort might not be a big deal - but it can be annoying to clean them up.  Sorry I can't tell you what "close is" dimensionally... but if I were to guess - if there is more than .015"-.0175" in diameter difference - you're probably out of luck - but that's really just a guess - trail and error is really the only way to know.

ALSO and this is key if you try to use a smaller dia hook - the temp of your lead will be important.  If you can pour the lead on the COOL side of the scale - you'll have less of an issue as the hook should have a chance to freeze the lead before it runs down the shaft very far or into the eye area.  If you have to pour the lead really hot - you'll have more issues.   I make my own molds and sometimes I file/cut the hook areas open a little too much by accident... I just play with the lead temp to find a sweet spot and that usually "fixes" the issue.

J.

10 hours ago, The Jig Is Up said:

logwrig, I have been pouring and tying ultra finesse jigs using that weedless ballhead jig and it can totally be done. Like Cadman said, a drill bit works great for the weedguard hole.

As much as I love the versatility of the weedless ballhead jig, I've been looking into getting a Snootie jig mold as well. While the ballhead is a great finesse profile and is rapidly becoming my Ned Rig alternative, I suspect the Snootie will do much better for pitching into cover and swimming through grass. Just my 2 cents.

I have been using the Snootie jig for over 12 years, and I love the fact that it goes through cover effortlessly and doesn't pick up weeds. Really good jig.

• Like 1

On 2/6/2022 at 10:18 PM, logwrig said:

Hi! Long time listener, first time caller. And totally new.

I've been reading a lot of different posts and trying to piece together information but it's probably time to just ask.

I got into jig making because I like to fish really light tackle. I really love the bitsy bug jigs (and have read all the posts about the Snootie mold). I'm wanting to make my own micro jigs like that. However, the Snootie mold has been on backorder since last July so I'm going to have to make due.

I've got a 1/8 oz poison tail mold and I can't figure out how to use the weedguard. So first question, what's the strategy that people use to create the base hole for FG-12 guards? I don't have the ability to turn metal or file down a standard pin. I want to order metal stock but wouldn't it just fall out?

Next question - can I use lighter wire hooks in molds that call for heavy wire? I'm looking at the 1/8oz arky from DOIT and it says to use heavy wire hooks. I'm feeling like this should be a decent substitute for the Snootie mold but I'm just guessing.

Finally - if all of this fails, does anyone have any luck creating micro/mini jigs on anything else? I've been looking at the standard weedless ball jig but without the collar, will I still be able to mount a skirt and secure the jig? Or do people usually modify to accept a wireguard when you do something like that?

I may be able to help with some stuff here. The 1/8oz Arky jig mold is hard to find and I use it a lot!! It calls for a 4/0 EC 570 hook but I like using smaller hooks. I typically use a 1/0 or 2/0 5313 in that mold but I have made some with the 1/0 Gamakatsu 4124 big river hook. https://barlowstackle.com/gamakatsu-4124-big-river-hooks-sizes-2-4-0/?afmc=cj  . You got an answer for the poison tail, the FG-12 weed guard is 5/64" in diameter. I get PTFE wire (Teflon) in 0.78" diameter and cut it into pins and it works great. PTFE Wire | Contenti  .  If you go to my YouTube channel you'll see that I have a number of videos making micro jigs using a variety of different heads, it may help give ideas on molds to get.  (12) Smalljaw - YouTube

• Like 1

On 3/30/2022 at 4:29 AM, smalljaw said:

I may be able to help with some stuff here. The 1/8oz Arky jig mold is hard to find and I use it a lot!! It calls for a 4/0 EC 570 hook but I like using smaller hooks. I typically use a 1/0 or 2/0 5313 in that mold but I have made some with the 1/0 Gamakatsu 4124 big river hook. https://barlowstackle.com/gamakatsu-4124-big-river-hooks-sizes-2-4-0/?afmc=cj  . You got an answer for the poison tail, the FG-12 weed guard is 5/64" in diameter. I get PTFE wire (Teflon) in 0.78" diameter and cut it into pins and it works great. PTFE Wire | Contenti  .  If you go to my YouTube channel you'll see that I have a number of videos making micro jigs using a variety of different heads, it may help give ideas on molds to get.  (12) Smalljaw - YouTube

smalljaw, that big river hook looks sweet. What line would you fish with it? I've been toying with thoughts of a small 1/8 oz jig that I could throw on 8 or 10 lb line into light cover and just haven't nailed down which hook.

Alternatively, I've considered trying it with a #1 or 1/0 Owner Deep Throat Hook with a different mold that'll take the 60 degree eye.

Edited by The Jig Is Up

You want to use the teflon material that smalljaw recommended from Contenti for pins. As for hooks Mustad makes a light wire hook 32724 that is 30degrees that will work. If they don't make a hook small enough for you then you can hand bend some 60 degree hooks to 30 degrees to fit in the mold.

Allen