lwc1960

Rookie question: heating in a small glass pitcher

I'm just getting started pouring baits. Made a few small silicone molds to hand pour. I've got a couple of small (1 cup, 1/2 up) pitchers  made of glass. I was gonna use the bigger one to heat raw plastisol in then pour some into the smaller one and color them separately. WiIl glass work or am I better off buying Pyrex>

Not a newbie question.  In fact, a very good one!

As wallyc14 mentioned, make sure it's glass made for heating.  There is a difference.  Chance of a huge explosion if not!  Also if you are just pouring for yourself on a small scale, you might consider the little tin cups.  You can transfer prepared plastic from pyrex to the cups with nice results.

Good luck! 

Heating plastisol  with a microwave then  pyrex or anchor brands are good, relatively safe. Approved for use by manufacturer.  Don't believe you should heat direct on element like electric hot plate using pyrex or anchor measureing cups .Not approved for direct heating. I may be wrong but recall reading it some where.  Check it out before moving forward. Metal pots for heating on electric elements.( definitely not for microwave)  Hope I dont give you in accurate info here ! Just airing on the side of caution. 

Like the others already mentioned, stick with Pyrex only for microwave heating. Other wise you will find out the definition of thermal shock, and quite possibly the meaning of 2nd degree burns as well. Safety first when playing with a 350* molten plastic.

If just starting out, I would get 2- 2cup Pyrex measuring cups. The 2 cup size gives your plastisol room to expand.

Better yet, go to that big shopping site with a south american name and get yourself silicone cups. Probably your safest bet!

Have fun but be safe.

Pyrex or Anchor have done fine for decades. Once you transfer plastic to other containers it cools fast which is why I load my injector with enough plastic to pour a few molds at a time, with other injectors standing by. I don't see the need for 2 cup cups since my pours are a few shapes of a color amoung a few molds per color.