RiverSmallieGuy

Jointed Lexan Tail-- What effect does it have? (if any)

I am currently building a 3 pc 6 inch swimbait, and I am planning to have a jointed Lexan tail similar to that of the Black Dog Baits Shellcracker G2. So far, in my swimbait building journey, I have found that a jointed tail doesn't have a negative effect on action, but I have only had that kind of tail two times, so that evidence is not really proven. Will this kind of tail be conducive to the fast, serpentine action of a Triple Trout style lure? Thanks! (I have attached a video that goes very in-depth on this lure and the tail mechanism.)

Braden

I have made numerous Shellcracker type baits as well as 2 and 3 section baits that are 6 to 10 inches . Yes, that type of tail will work with the serpentine action of the bait. The tail fin itself is not jointed. The tail fin is one piece with 2 holes for mounting. The holes in the fin have to be bigger than the cross-pins so the tail will flop loosely back and forth on the pins. I use small wire nails for pins.  If you stop the video at 12:28 and 13:07, you can see the holes. Sometimes, I just make one long rectangular hole vertically in the fin instead of the 2 holes. When the bait swims, the actions carries on to fin which flops back and forth. It gives the effect of an extra joint. I like that type of tail kick.

I have gotten away from using Lexan fins. I like somewhat flexible fins that will bend over when a fish bites. I make my flopping-type fins from silicone mats (placemats, cooking mats, under sink mats) and plastic containers (milk jugs, coffee can lids, food containers, notebook covers). You still get the kick with Lexan as long it has freedom of movement on the pins and is not too big in relation to the size of the bait.

Jim

12 hours ago, Vodkaman said:

I really don't understand why this video has been included, it has no relevance to your question. Do you work for the company or something!

Dave

I included the video because it had a section that goes in depth on how the tail mechanism works and to explain the tail to those that are not too familiar with the lure. If you skip to the section on the tail mechanism, that's all you need to watch. The video is time-stamped. I apologize for the misunderstanding. I am not affiliated with Black Dog Baits and receive no money from them. 

Braden

Edited by RiverSmallieGuy
Left out info
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, RiverSmallieGuy said:

I included the video because it had a section that goes in depth on how the tail mechanism works and to explain the tail to those that are not too familiar with the lure. If you skip to the section on the tail mechanism, that's all you need to watch. The video is time-stamped. I apologize for the misunderstanding. I am not affiliated with Black Dog Baits and receive no money from them. 

Braden

No need to apologize.... The video was fine as many aren't familiar with the tail design.  I went ahead and linked to the tail section.

22 hours ago, Vodkaman said:

I really don't understand why this video has been included, it has no relevance to your question. Do you work for the company or something!

Dave

I am sure a company would love to put video of their lures on a site dedicated to guys that make baits.   Going to have more knock the baits off than buy them.  :lolhuh:

• Like 1