Tiderunner

Gold

Looking to make a stickbait or some type of worm in a deep rich gold. I've tried extra fine glitter. Pearl effects with white, back. No luck. FYI..with black colorant gold pearl looks like puke.

Would mica powder do the trick? I see that most hobby shops, and artsy craftsy shops sell mice powders. Would I just add these to clear plastisol?

Anyone use this stuff, or make a deep rich solid colored gold before?

16 hours ago, Frank said:

For years what we call pearl is mica. So yes it will work just fine. Car paint,house paint, makeup ,hobby paints and pretty much all thing that say metallic are mica powders in some form or another. Crushed up rock is all it is. 

Used the pearl powder. No matter how much I used it came out transparent. Added white. Meh 

Added black a little better Added a lot of black Looks like puke. And oddly still transparent. Will try another brand.

13 hours ago, Tiderunner said:

Used the pearl powder. No matter how much I used it came out transparent. Added white. Meh 

Added black a little better Added a lot of black Looks like puke. And oddly still transparent. Will try another brand.

Try to use a base color like yellow or  tan  ( not Black ) maybe then a lot of gold pearl and gold hi-lite 

Gold is a pretty wide range to be honest.  For paint you start with yellow and add brown slowly to get the desired gold hue.  Same where I would start with plastic opaque yellow, maybe some transluecent orange and a little brown (toothpick dipped amount) then add gold highlight.  

Deep Gold Pearl 195

Like this? The above pic is from LureWorks; Deep Gold Pearl 195. If your starting with a Hi-Lite Gold pearl powder it will be hard to get the same look no matter the combination. Although if you used something like SB Yellow 118; a transparent orange shade yellow, it would get close, but you still would battle the transparency issue and milk white undertone. 

On 2/18/2022 at 1:16 AM, Frank said:

For years what we call pearl is mica. So yes it will work just fine. Car paint,house paint, makeup ,hobby paints and pretty much all thing that say metallic are mica powders in some form or another. Crushed up rock is all it is. 

Bought some gold luster mica powder from a big online auction site, from a seller I'd bought from before. Tried it and I got the exact gold that I wanted. Deep enough to make my cores, yet still have the gold luster look to it.

This stuff was dark and rich enough so that I wouldn't need to use a lot. I have found even lighter gold mica powders, and I will probably get some of those for my grubs.