chachybaby

Crankbait Lip and Nose eye, Belly Weight Epoxy

Yes, Two Ton works and is plenty strong.  But I prefer an epoxy PASTE that is easier and less messy to use but gives the same strength.  Rod Bond epoxy (the regular slow cure version) lets me fiddle with lip alignment for an hour or more.  I fill the slot with it, push in the lip, and wipe off the epoxy pushed out the rear sides of the slot.  No drips, no mess.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MikePaintsBaits said:

I Use BoB Smith 2 Part Epoxy 30 Min Cure , Gives You About 5 Min Work Time.

Are you meaning like a 5 minute epoxy when you say 30 min cure? Or are you meaning a 30 minute epoxy. I am guessing that when you say 5 minute work time, you are referring to 5 minute. Either way, BSI epoxy is great for lures. I have heard phenomenal things about their 30 minute epoxy for clear coats.

Braden

5 hours ago, RiverSmallieGuy said:

Ummm. I have heard incredible things about people using denatured alcohol to thin epoxy clear coats. Don't add too much though, it doesn't help it at that point-- it makes it too weak.

Braden

What ratio of the alcohol to add , or consistency are we talking for the final coat so its not weakend?  Let's say 2 part epoxy size of a penny for each glue before mixing them.

I don't do a ton of epoxy clear coats, I don't like them, because they take away the carved details. I generally use KBS Diamond Finish aerosol can. I don't know, so take this with a grain of salt, but I would guess that .2oz total mixture of epoxy, (so .1 oz hardener and .1 oz resin) I would put like 4-7 drops in that much, but I don't use epoxy (for clear coat) so I don't know if that would work.

Braden

6 minutes ago, chachybaby said:

What ratio of the alcohol to add , or consistency are we talking for the final coat so its not weakend?  Let's say 2 part epoxy size of a penny for each glue before mixing them.

I have used both Bob Smith and Devcon 2 Ton. They both work great for bait hardware. The D2T has a longer working time. I use mostly D2T now because of availability in my area.

When I use Denatured Alcohol, I only use a few drops on a typical batch, which would do around six squarebills sized type baits. It helps to have a plastic plunger type syringe because a couple drops goes a long way. I mix the epoxy first, add the DN, and do additional stirring to blend the DN into the mixed epoxy. It is a 'feel' thing when you mix it to get the consistency you want. I just want it easy to apply and not too thick for a bass bait. I only thin epoxy on small and medium bass sized lures. I don't thin topcoats on larger bass swimbaits and musky/pike baits.

Two penny size amounts of resin and hardener are a small amount when combined.  I think it will only take 1-2 drops of DN for that small of a batch. If you are using that size batch for a seal coat, you might want the epoxy thinner with an extra drop or 2 to give the epoxy a better chance to get into the tiny imperfections on the bait's body for a better bond.