Thembonez

Flex coat

So FlexCoat makes several different products. The have a Rod Builders epoxy that sets up relatively fast...it is basically used on rod handle assembly. Then the High Build thats used on thread...and its sets up a lot slower.

I have use the High Build on lures...you just need to keep it turning for a couple hours.

On 2/24/2022 at 9:59 PM, RiverSmallieGuy said:

I think it would work, just not 100% ideal. I think it would be kinda like using 5 minute epoxy for a clear coat; durable, but not ideal.

Braden

I take back my statement. I was going off of a couple things that I have heard about their products. I apologize for the incorrect information.

Braden

10 hours ago, RiverSmallieGuy said:

I take back my statement. I was going off of a couple things that I have heard about their products. I apologize for the incorrect information.

Braden

@RiverSmallieGuy

The have an epoxy that called Rod Builders epoxy that does have a faster set up time...its not 5 minute...but more like 30 minutes to set up and longer to cure and get hard.

22 hours ago, Chris Catignani said:

@RiverSmallieGuy

The have an epoxy that called Rod Builders epoxy that does have a faster set up time...its not 5 minute...but more like 30 minutes to set up and longer to cure and get hard.

rod builders epoxy is good for sealer coat but I would not use it to clear coat, no uv additives in that porduct

2 hours ago, benton B said:

rod builders epoxy is good for sealer coat but I would not use it to clear coat, no uv additives in that porduct

One thing people dont realize is that a UV inhibiter in epoxy is there only for the epoxy...and it only for a limited time...and that may change. But the material under the epoxy is still subject to UV discoloration. Take hard wood floors for example...the epoxy may not yellow due to UV inhibiters...but the wood will still discolor.

Source on UV resistance

Edited by Chris Catignani

2 minutes ago, Chris Catignani said:

One thing people dont realize is that a UV inhibiter in epoxy is there only for the epoxy...and it only for a limited time...and that may change. But the material under the epoxy is still subject to UV discoloration. Take hard wood floors for example...the epoxy may not yellow due to UV inhibiters...but the wood will still discolor.

So that means the UV light can penetrate through the epoxy and yellow the paint underneath the clear coat. Any way to prevent that?

1 hour ago, RiverSmallieGuy said:

So that means the UV light can penetrate through the epoxy and yellow the paint underneath the clear coat. Any way to prevent that?

I'm not 100% sure on that one. Its only going to be a problem if its in the sun day in day out. Some colors don't care about UV...and some paints have UV inhibiters. Like I have some Golden paints that say, "formulated with 100% acrylic polymer dispersion"..bla..bla...UVLS. UVLS stands for Ultra Violet Filters and Stabilizers. I'm sure I'm getting some of this wrong...but for me...I try not to worry about it a whole lot...unless its the color yellow. If you ever see these old four color prints on the wall were the grass and trees look blue...it because the yellow has faded out of it.

Edited by Chris Catignani

23 minutes ago, Chris Catignani said:

I'm not 100% sure on that one. Its only going to be a problem if its in the sun day in day out. Some colors don't care about UV...and some paints have UV inhibiters. Like I have some Golden paints that say, "formulated with 100% acrylic polymer dispersion"..bla..bla...UVLS. UVLS stands for Ultra Violet Filters and Stabilizers. I'm sure I'm getting some of this wrong...but for me...I try not to worry about it a whole lot...unless its the color yellow. If you ever see these old four color prints on the wall were the grass and trees look blue...it because the yellow has faded out of it.

I paint my lures with rattle can, and see on the Rustoleum 2X Ultra Cover Gloss Clear that it is UV resistant and non-yellowing. I would guess that they use a similar formula for all of their colors. I am going to go out on a whim and say that the Rustoleum 2X Ultra Cover cans are UV resistant as well. I would guess that the same would apply to most airbrush colors.

Flexcoat works just fine.  But it’s more expensive than many other epoxies because it’s custom formulated for rod threads.  Just about any SLOW cure epoxy works well.  Just dont try to use fast cure epoxies.  They don’t level out well and they yellow quickly.

On 3/27/2022 at 8:16 PM, BobP said:

Flexcoat works just fine.  But it’s more expensive than many other epoxies because it’s custom formulated for rod threads.  Just about any SLOW cure epoxy works well.  Just dont try to use fast cure epoxies.  They don’t level out well and they yellow quickly.

So, if you're going to spend that much on epoxy clear coat, you could spend less and get TrueCoat, which is widely considered the best lure clear coat ever made.