Fishin Big

Kill dot

I see this on just about any Shad imitation bait centered mid body. When a live Shad has it more or less near the top of gill plate. I played around with this one and mostly believe it's just for the fisherman! I  did have a different experience with painting a series of dots like those on a live Shad. That one caught more fish than the others.  I picked up some shifting colors from a gaming store last fall and I see some now offered by a lure supplier, and these are much bigger bottles than the ones I have. I might get a few of them. I painted my older Rapala lures in different Shad colors and they are the smaller size Rapala, one being a sinker model, this one caught four Bass and two Crappie. This Spring is going to be interesting!

I am not 100% sure what the effect the shad dot has on the effectiveness of a lure, but it does make a shad color look way better in my opinion. I noticed when looking at shad, the dot is less present on the larger, older shad, and is way more present in the smaller shad. I would assume that the effectiveness is modified because the smaller lures that you were describing looked more natural to the predators and panfish due to the dots being more present in the smaller shad you were imitating. 

Braden

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jigmeister said:

One theory I have heard is to locate the kill spot above the belly hook hanger so if a fish target's the spot he will hit the bait around the belly hook . Makes sense .

I have heard of people doing the same thing with feathered treble hooks and red treble hooks; it's a targeting area because it stands out. I have heard stories where people were missing fish after fish with 2 black or silver or bronze hooks, and then they changed the front or back treble to a red or feathered treble and then the hooked every fish that ate their lure and the red or feathered treble was always in the mouth. The one thing I would say about feathered trebles though is that they can restrict motion of a crankbait or really any other lure because the feathers cause more drag than just a bare treble.

Braden

• Like 1