william cohen

spinner beads

There really is no best bead answer it all really depends on what you're wanting to make and how you're wanting it to perform.

For instance if you're copying a certain brand/model spinner than you would want to use the same beads they use.

Metal beads are great for a bearing surface under your clevis. They're also good for adding weight to a spinner when needed.

Glass beads also work well for adding weight and are often more colorful than the metal beads.

Plastic beads are lighter but add a lot of color, come in a lot more colors, and are the cheapest.

I'm planning on making some  wedding ring spinners for some trout fishing this summer.

Well the Mack's wedding ring spinner uses two plastic stack beads and of course the wedding ring in the center.

So to replicate it I'm going to use the same plastic stack beads. And I will use a small brass bead under the clevis to act as a bearing bead for the spinner.

Edited by Kasilofchrisn

Love the ideas shared so far!  I too prefer round beads...I did find some beads made of volcano rock too, which I thought was pretty cool!

I really like all the colors and styles of plastic beads available.  I get most of mine at Wal Mart in their jewelry section.  To compensate for the light weight of the beads I use an appropriately sized bullet weight. I'll often use enamel paint over the bullet weight. Sometimes you can find them pre-painted. So many options...

When using beads made of glass and or plastic on larger inlines with blades #5 and larger,  casting pressure and impact shock tends to crack glass beads occasionally. Plastic as a bearing bead will work for a while but eventually wear out do to the weight imparted pressure of the blade hitting the water and then slamming back towards the back of the lure upon retrieval. Yes everyone has there preferences but to me a solid brass bead , gold  or nickel plated provides the best bearing surface for longevity and performance. If you go to a hollow bead for a lighter or smaller  lure the wear factor shortens the durability and life of the lure. When I throw larger inline  spinners using # 28 sonic or panther martin type blade , no clevis is  required as  the shaft runs through the blade and rotates around the shaft on a solid bearing bead in front of a  poured lead body, the brass bead bearing behind the blade  actually distorts the lead from the pressure and impact from casting and retrieval.  Every  spinner  requires a balanced assortment of components in order for it to work properly that's what makes making your own so challenging and rewarding.

• Like 2