RiverSmallieGuy

Glider Question

It would depend on if you are talking a single piece glider or a jointed S-waver type bait.

If you are talking single piece body, I like a ballast 1/4 to 1/3 the distance on the body from the nose and another ballast 1/4 to 1/3 from the tail end. You can change the amounts to affect the sink rate rate and body angle position. I like very slow sinking baits. I will adjust the ballast amounts so the bait sits slightly nose down to keep it running below water at the depth I let it sink to. I will adjust the ballast to make the bait sit slightly tail down to run subsurface or surface.

For an S waver jointed type, I like the sections to float/sink in a straight line across the sections. You don't want the sections at an angle to each other for the best joint movement. I like these nose down for subsurface and level for surface.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JD_mudbug said:

It would depend on if you are talking a single piece glider or a jointed S-waver type bait.

If you are talking single piece body, I like a ballast 1/4 to 1/3 the distance on the body from the nose and another ballast 1/4 to 1/3 from the tail end. You can change the amounts to affect the sink rate rate and body angle position. I like very slow sinking baits. I will adjust the ballast amounts so the bait sits slightly nose down to keep it running below water at the depth I let it sink to. I will adjust the ballast to make the bait sit slightly tail down to run subsurface or surface.

For an S waver jointed type, I like the sections to float/sink in a straight line across the sections. You don't want the sections at an angle to each other for the best joint movement. I like these nose down for subsurface and level for surface.

7 hours ago, Deadly Buck said:

Can you maybe share a picture?

My bad, forgot to attach these last night. Here they are.

Screen Shot 2022-03-05 at 8.48.58 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-03-05 at 8.49.17 PM.png

• Like 2

I've been finding the center of balance and then measuring an equal distance away from that.  I guess with a two piece bait I'd find the center of balance on each piece, and then do a float test in a 5 gal. bucket before applying any glue.  I think this works, though I haven't consulted a physics textbook (or @Vodkaman!) yet.

Great gill detail, that's impressive!

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Big Epp said:

I've been finding the center of balance and then measuring an equal distance away from that.  I guess with a two piece bait I'd find the center of balance on each piece, and then do a float test in a 5 gal. bucket before applying any glue.  I think this works, though I haven't consulted a physics textbook (or @Vodkaman!) yet.

Great gill detail, that's impressive!

The bucket method is your only option unless you use CAD. You can calculate how much weight but not where to put it.

Dave

Edited by Vodkaman
  • Like 3