Deadly Buck

Clear coat

I use Envirotex Lite, but I've heard great things about Devcon (referenced a lot as D2T).

The key to an even coat is a lure rotisserie.  I do know someone who uses multiple very thin coats and then hangs them to dry between coats.  I have done base coats of epoxy and then hung them to cure with good success, though there is some settling regardless of how thin I applied it.

There are a lot of advantages to using epoxy.  I have often used Moisture Cured Urethane, and it's very easy to use.  I just dip and hang the lures between coats.

30 minutes ago, Deadly Buck said:

Then the next question. How do you get an even clear coat with epoxy? My ends up uneven

If you use a lure turner it will be even as long as you have a reasonably smooth rotation. A clean lure and thin even coats help. Odds are if you have uneven or voids with epoxy using a turner it is oils from your hands on the lure, improper coverage, or a prolonged stall in the rotation of your lure turner 

I have only used Etex for epoxy but this is the method I used and issues I found 

• Thanks 1

You can get rotisserie motors on Amazon, for pretty good prices. Then you can build the frame to hold it and purchase a wooden square dowel rod to insert into the slot that the motor would have. The only other option I would provide requires patience as well. You can clamp one of the hook hangers with a pair of vise grips and slowly turn it in your hand for like an hour or two. Watching TV whilst doing this helps. Haha.

Braden

On 3/19/2022 at 10:28 PM, RiverSmallieGuy said:

You can get rotisserie motors on Amazon, for pretty good prices. Then you can build the frame to hold it and purchase a wooden square dowel rod to insert into the slot that the motor would have. The only other option I would provide requires patience as well. You can clamp one of the hook hangers with a pair of vise grips and slowly turn it in your hand for like an hour or two. Watching TV whilst doing this helps. Haha.

Braden

You may have to build a frame for the rotisserie as well.

And the answer is:

THE ONE THAT WORKS FOR YOU.

Webster's definition of clear coat: The endless search by fisherman for the ultimate coating for a fishing lure. Derived from clear coatus, Latin for waste a ridiculous amount of time and money looking for a product that doesn't exist. 

See tackleunderground searches for more information back to 820 BC

lol

• Haha 3

On 3/11/2022 at 2:58 PM, Deadly Buck said:

Then the next question. How do you get an even clear coat with epoxy? My ends up uneven

Thin with drops of denatured alcohol. Then use a good camel hair brush with the bristles cut down and draw it across the lure. You can coat a saltwater size lure nicely in short time. Don't mix alot at once or it will light off faster. 

8 hours ago, Salty's said:

Thin with drops of denatured alcohol. Then use a good camel hair brush with the bristles cut down and draw it across the lure. You can coat a saltwater size lure nicely in short time. Don't mix alot at once or it will light off faster. 

Just remember to mix the two epoxy parts completely before you thin it with denatured alcohol.  If not, the alcohol will bond with the unmixed portion, and the epoxy will never harden.

• Like 2

Hmm, ease of use and durable smooth finish?  My vote goes to KBS Diamond Coat.  Dip the lure, hang it up to dry/cure.  Voila, you’re done.

Whatever clear you choose has peculiarities of application.  You just have to dive in and see for yourself what you like best.

• Like 1

I use the Devcon 2 ton 5 minute epoxy with very good results on the rotisserie I modified from a tumbler spinner I got on Amazon for $24. I got the wood clock faces and dowels from Hobby Lobby and the center shaft came with the spinner.

I have a total of $35 into it. This one says it spins 4-5 rpm. 

Rotisserie.jpg

• Like 2

On 3/29/2022 at 9:44 AM, Drumdog said:

I use the Devcon 2 ton 5 minute epoxy with very good results on the rotisserie I modified from a tumbler spinner I got on Amazon for $24. I got the wood clock faces and dowels from Hobby Lobby and the center shaft came with the spinner.

Rotisserie.jpg

Do you use the 5 minute gel? Are you 100% sure that what you're using is 5 minute? Is it this stuff? 

Screen Shot 2022-03-30 at 1.45.23 PM.png

On 3/29/2022 at 9:44 AM, Drumdog said:

Rotisserie.jpg

Do you thin it with anything?

In the first post Deadly Buck asked. 

What is the best clear coat that combines ease of use, smooth finishes and affordability?

Devcon 5 Minute Epoxy is not it!

Devcon 2 Ton is real good. ( You only get about 5 minutes working time )

Devcon 5 Minute Epoxy - Water resistant

Devcon 2 Ton - Waterproof

You do the math. It's a simple choice.