RiverSmallieGuy

Color shift spray paint

Have any of you tried the Rustoleum color shift rattle cans? I use a lot of their products, especially their 2x Ultra Cover Paint+Primer paints, and I have had zero issues with it, but don't know how user friendly the color shift stuff is. I have heard about people having issues spraying color shift colors and pearlized paints out of airbrushes, but don't know if those same issues apply to rattle cans. Any thoughts?

6 hours ago, Good Fishing said:

Createx makes a great line of Wicked pearlized and color shift (they call them "Flair" colors) paints. We've haven't had any customers indicate they've had issues spraying them.

I know that the Wicked stuff from Createx is among the best when it comes to airbrush paints, regardless of finishes (fluorescent, pearlized, opaque, detail, etc). I am just asking about how user friendly color shift spray paint is, because I am a teenager who doesn't really have the money for an airbrush haha... Definitely going to own an airbrush at some point though.

Braden

I'm gonna contradict what squarehead just said to a degree...although he's not completely wrong either.  

I was introduced to an acrylic color shift paint not long ago available at Micheal's craft store. It's called Dragonfly glaze.  It goes on clear and actually paints on really well....albeit I do thin and run it through the airbrush, the guy who introduced it to me does not.  He just paints it on as a topcoat prior to clear coating his baits.   

Now, it's acrylic, so RiverSmallieGuy would need to add an additional waterproof coat over the top if he's not using a clear coat already. 

To the original question regarding the Rustoleum CS paints, I don't have any experienced, but do know the pearlized stuff (especially this dragonfly glaze) will clog the airbrush if I don't use enough air pressure.   The dragonfly glaze is especially fun as I think the flakes may be slightly larger than standard pearlized paints, but I make it work.  I understand why my friend just paints it on with a brush.  FYI to non-airbrush guys, it can be thinned with plain water as it's acrylic water based paint.

Dragonfly Glaze

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Bentrod425 said:

I'm gonna contradict what squarehead just said to a degree...although he's not completely wrong either.  

I was introduced to an acrylic color shift paint not long ago available at Micheal's craft store. It's called Dragonfly glaze.  It goes on clear and actually paints on really well....albeit I do thin and run it through the airbrush, the guy who introduced it to me does not.  He just paints it on as a topcoat prior to clear coating his baits.   

Now, it's acrylic, so RiverSmallieGuy would need to add an additional waterproof coat over the top if he's not using a clear coat already. 

To the original question regarding the Rustoleum CS paints, I don't have any experienced, but do know the pearlized stuff (especially this dragonfly glaze) will clog the airbrush if I don't use enough air pressure.   The dragonfly glaze is especially fun as I think the flakes may be slightly larger than standard pearlized paints, but I make it work.  I understand why my friend just paints it on with a brush.  FYI to non-airbrush guys, it can be thinned with plain water as it's acrylic water based paint.

Dragonfly Glaze

Yeah, I guess that's why there is no (at least to my knowledge) pearlized spray paints-- because it would clog the cap really quick. Thanks though!

Braden

On 3/18/2022 at 8:02 PM, squarehead paint said:

You need to airbrush color shift paints, there is no getting around that. You can't brush that type of paint (or pearls, fluorescents or anything that isn't a solid color), the effect will not work.

What do you mean? There are metallic spray paints, fluorescent spray paints, glossy spray paints, matte spray paints, and probably pearlized spray paints that work. The same techniques apply with rattle can as with an airbrush, you just have less precision.

Braden