prestonlogan

CNC Router for Molds

I’ve come across some CNC routers for around $200 online. I’m wanting to make custom bait molds. I was wondering if anyone has made anything with these cheaper cnc routers? I imagine you can’t use aluminum with the $200 cnc routers because they do not have coolant, what other materials could I make injections molds with ?

F4E30916-F2DA-43E8-8A1D-59B7E0CA705F.thumb.jpeg.92db9f0e078f1fdadb1c9cbd27ec8800.jpegI’m in the middle of cutting this mold on my cnc router. I use the Shapeoko from Carbide which is about 1500 last I looked. The 200 machines may not be rigid enough for aluminum but then again they may work great. I haven’t had to worry much about cooling or chip clearing. I have a compressor with a nozzle near by if I do need to clear something quick. They a fun to play with, I’ve been cutting jig head molds as well.

Edited by basscatcher89
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, basscatcher89 said:

I’m in the middle of cutting this mold on my cnc router. I use the Shapeoko from Carbide which is about 1500 last I looked. The 200 machines may not be rigid enough for aluminum but then again they may work great. I haven’t had to worry much about cooling or chip clearing. I have a compressor with a nozzle near by if I do need to clear something quick. They a fun to play with, I’ve been cutting jig head molds as well.

Looks nice. How fast do the cutting parts wear on those routers? Do you need just one style or multiple to make these kinds of cuts? 

I've been interested in this for a while.

2 hours ago, goclones said:

Looks nice. How fast do the cutting parts wear on those routers? Do you need just one style or multiple to make these kinds of cuts? 

I've been interested in this for a while.

I've been getting decent life out of mine. I right use 1/4 all the way down to 1/32 size bits. I go pretty conservative with my feeds and speeds they tend to last awhile. 1/8 ball cutter and flat cutter are pretty much my go-to then I work my way down for fine detail. I have cheap cutters for wood cutting then buy coated for doing aluminum. I was skeptical for awhile before trying this. Now I'm glad I made the leap. You don't go as fast as a big mill obviously and you have to get creative in some spots but it works out for playing around in the home shop.

On 4/3/2022 at 9:29 PM, basscatcher89 said:

F4E30916-F2DA-43E8-8A1D-59B7E0CA705F.thumb.jpeg.92db9f0e078f1fdadb1c9cbd27ec8800.jpegI’m in the middle of cutting this mold on my cnc router. I use the Shapeoko from Carbide which is about 1500 last I looked. The 200 machines may not be rigid enough for aluminum but then again they may work great. I haven’t had to worry much about cooling or chip clearing. I have a compressor with a nozzle near by if I do need to clear something quick. They a fun to play with, I’ve been cutting jig head molds as well.

Wow. I just got a X-carve Pro and know nothing about it. Do you think it would be powerful enough for something like this? How difficult is it to go from design to product? Are you using fusion 360? 

Edited by Fern

6 hours ago, Fern said:

Wow. I just got a X-carve Pro and know nothing about it. Do you think it would be powerful enough for something like this? How difficult is it to go from design to product? Are you using fusion 360? 

Yes xcarve can do it. Only thing that gets rough is those DeWalt routers assuming that's what you got with yours only go down to 18k rpm but just take it slow and you should be ok. I'm using carbides router which goes down to 10k but I've seen folks using the DeWalt routers with no issue.

Yes I'm using fusion for design and the cam work. It took awhile to get the hang of it but it's a real powerful software.