Greg

Crankbait Finish Repair

I have a couple of high end, balsa crankbaits that now have chipped finishes as a result of errant casts on my part.  I don't want to re-paint them; but, I do want to seal them to prevent water absorption.  What's the best way to handle this and with what product?

Thanks,

Greg

Ummmmm. A good way to do it would be to give it a clear coat. What I would do in your position is get an "affordable" clear coat such as KBS Diamond Clear aerosol can. You could put about 5 coats on your bait. Re-coat times are about 1-2 hours in 65+ degree conditions. Re-coat times are longer on a lure when it's cold outside. Another good option is to get a bottle of thin super glue (very watery super glue) and pour it onto the spot that is chipped. This will harden and seal that spot. Remember though, super glue is not perfectly waterproof, so you will want to be careful with that.

Braden

35 minutes ago, AZ Fisher said:

Sally Hansen's Hard as Nails, clear finger nail polish,   brush a little into the chips,   let it dry and you're good to go,  should be less than $5 at Wallyworld, keep the bottle in your T box or boat with you, comes in handy, my .02

The above and super glue can help prolong the life of a wooden crankbaits without being costly or time consuming 

• Like 1

On 3/20/2022 at 5:58 PM, AZ Fisher said:

Sally Hansen's Hard as Nails, clear finger nail polish,   brush a little into the chips,   let it dry and you're good to go,  should be less than $5 at Wallyworld, keep the bottle in your T box or boat with you, comes in handy, my .02

Even Dollar Store clear nail polish works.

Thin super glue will "wick" into cracks and seal them up.  I use it on blank (unpainted) baits at the hook holders and front eyelet to make sure those areas are sealed well.  After super glue dries, use a finish of your choice, hard as nails or store-bought epoxy is easiest to get.  For the thin super glue I use Zap-CA that I got at a local hobby store.

• Like 1