RiverSmallieGuy

Remelts vs Fresh Plastisol?

Are you talking about leftover plastic that is left in the cup after making some baits? You can reuse it just fine. just make sure you stir it, as the glitter tends to sit at the bottom. I wouldn't think there was a difference

Edited by Aaron856

4 minutes ago, basscatlildave said:

I remelt a lot of old plastics and other than moisture I don't have a problem. 

Agreed - senkos are the worst for that!!

With that being said - I have a box I toss all my used baits in throughout the year and at the beginning of the season remelt to use again.  I would say though - adding a little heat stabilizer and new plastic does seem to help.  I've noticed if you just continually remelt baits at some point the plastisol thickens - still usable - but isn't that milky/flowing consistency.  I find I don't have that issue if I add new plastic to the batch.... I'm sure some of the formula burns off each time (heat stabilizer, etc) and a little fresh plastic helps balance that out.

J.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SlowFISH said:

Agreed - senkos are the worst for that!!

With that being said - I have a box I toss all my used baits in throughout the year and at the beginning of the season remelt to use again.  I would say though - adding a little heat stabilizer and new plastic does seem to help.  I've noticed if you just continually remelt baits at some point the plastisol thickens - still usable - but isn't that milky/flowing consistency.  I find I don't have that issue if I add new plastic to the batch.... I'm sure some of the formula burns off each time (heat stabilizer, etc) and a little fresh plastic helps balance that out.

J.

Alright! That makes it more affordable for somebody who just wants to dabble into soft plastics.

You should be especially careful with baits that have salt in them.  They can have moisture in the voids where salt was and even in the remaining salt.  They could be dried in an oven at 200deg or just leave them in a hot car for a week or so.  Don't let them touch any plastic in the car.  I'd throw them into a 5-gallon bucket.

7 hours ago, wchilton said:

You should be especially careful with baits that have salt in them.  They can have moisture in the voids where salt was and even in the remaining salt.  They could be dried in an oven at 200deg or just leave them in a hot car for a week or so.  Don't let them touch any plastic in the car.  I'd throw them into a 5-gallon bucket.

9 minutes ago, Driftwood said:

I purchased a cheap meat grinder from harbor freight to grind my old baits. Add a little heat stabilizer and you should be good to go.

Ok, thanks guys!

21 hours ago, RiverSmallieGuy said:

What do you mean? Is there something in their plastisol that doesn't remelt well?

Yeah sorry I should have been more specific.  I was heading out to work and in a hurry when I posted that.  I have tried remelting just about every brand out there and what I've found is if they are mass produced, I just wouldn't risk it.  Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I wouldn't want third degree burns either.  LOL. 

1 minute ago, alsworms said:

Yeah sorry I should have been more specific.  I was heading out to work and in a hurry when I posted that.  I have tried remelting just about every brand out there and what I've found is if they are mass produced, I just wouldn't risk it.  Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I wouldn't want third degree burns either.  LOL. 

hahaha. I get it man. You get in that haze of "i gotta go, i gotta go now" and you forget to give all the details. Yeah, third degree burns aren't exactly fun. Lol

• Haha 1