chachybaby

Starter Airbrush paint and air compressor

Hi 

Looking to start air brush painting harbaits but have questions before I start investing into it.

1. What is a good starter brand or type of air brush paint to work with that is affordable and can still get job done while I learn and mess up a few times.

2. What specs on an air compressor should I look for? Will attached compressor work.  See pic.

Again thanks to all in advance. Your support is appreciated!!

Screenshot_20220324-103637_Facebook.jpg

My starter airbrush was a cheap one from Walmart with a glass cup. After many issues I moved up to a Neo and am very pleased with it for price and performance.  
Paints-I bought all that I could afford plus a few more from AC Moore craft store when it went out of business. Mainly Spectra and Golden brands. I’ve also picked up some Createx colors. All seem to be decent for my projects. 
I have an airbrush compressor but I rarely use it. I have a small compressor like yours pictured and it does a fine job. Just be sure to add a moisture trap filter in the line. I found mine at harbor freight along with fittings. Hope this helps. 

I recently got into this hobby myself.  I got a Master airbrush kit (G233) off Amazon for about $40.  I already had a shop air compressor and ended up buying a Master mini-regulator/moisture trap to place inline ($15).  I did end up having to go to the hardware store and buy some fittings to get the whole setup the way I wanted, but in the end I have a quick connect from my compressor to the moisture trap/mini-regulator and that is screwed to my workbench and stays connected to my airbrush.  I DO recommend having the mini-regulator with air pressure gauge as i feel like it's much more precise than the air pressure gauge/regulator on the compressor itself, but I'm sure it's not absolutely necessary.  

For paints, you don't HAVE to go buy specialized airbrush paints.  You can buy plain water-based acrylic paints and thin with water, alcohol or store-bought thinner.  The Createx are nice as they are mostly good to go out of the container, but I've found some variability there too depending on how I want it to spray/laydown.  You'll end up changing up air pressure between various paints as well (that's where that mini-regulator comes in handy.  

I've been extremely happy with my Master airbrush.  So far it's performed very well.  Also, being inexpensive I don't stress as much about messing it up.  

P.S.-  The $40 G233 kit came with three needle/nozzle sizes (0.2, 0.3, 0.5).  The 0.3 was installed and I've yet to swap it out, so you could save some $ and get just the airbrush itself with one needle. 

Edited by Bentrod425

Before I started airbrushing I asked a professional what his recommendation was and he basically said, "buy the best and you won't regret it." He recommended the Iwata Eclipse HP-CS.  It was pricey, but I had some startup money available.

I use a 6 gal  shop compressor with inline moisture trap and pressure valve.  No problems thus far (2 years).

Airbrushes are just precision spray paint tools. They can shoot most any kind of paint you want.

Lure paint depends a lot on topcoat plan. if your going to epoxy then any of the water based stuff works good. 

if no epoxy then lacquers are a better choice, or anything not water based. Just need the appropriate cleaners and PPE.

I'd always vote for as large a compressor as is feasible. But as previously stated the water trap / regulator needs to be used with any.

I just got into the lure painting a short time ago and am loving it. I bought this setup on Amazon for $110 and it's working great. It's quiet, has a regulator/water trap on it and came with an airbrush. I may upgrade to an Iwata brush in the future, but this one is working just fine.

Airbrush.jpg

• Like 1