Big Epp

Scales

Thanks, I was really happy with how it turned out! I've not done much detail carving before, but I'm trying to get more into it as well as making some swimbaits (big, little, in-between). I've made patterns for 5" crappie and bluegill, 8" smallmouth, 10" walleye, and a 2" topminnow.

The wood is California redwood I got doing a demo job on an old kit house. I'm excited to have it, as it's basically impossible to get any out here. It carves like butter and floatslike crazy. It's so pretty I'll probably make several with no paint. They look kinda folkartish that way... In the picture it's got a coat of miwax wood hardener. 

I follow the typical routine described in most fish carving books as pretty standard in the few books I have.  One doesn't have to go crazy but a Bob Berry book about all one would need.  I have several others and James Fliger's details how to do pencil scales pretty good.

I think if I were to really add scales often then would burn them most likely.  Ed Walicki's site was the one I used to look at buying stuff from but available various places.  

Edited by Travis
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Flaswimbaiter said:

I hate scales, I have tried different techniques and I am never happy with the outcome. 

I get that. It's definitely easier to use the ol' airbrush and some mesh.  I talked with an old timer who carves fish, not lures, but decorative fish.  He uses a gouge.  I tried that, and it's pretty straightforward. 

• Like 1

I like the scales you have done with the dremel , folk art like . Dremels are amazing tools . Mostly I have drawn and hand carved my scales with exacto or similar blade , I am going to try a couple different things this weekend and post results

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1