Mbirdsley

Need some powder paint help

So I am having issue with paint running from the eye of the hook. When using a base coat and than another color on top of.  I’ve tried adjusting curing times and it helps only a little bit.

in the photo example I used a white base coat.  Let it cooled and than re heated up with heat gun and than re applied candy orange.  

Also, it looks like my candy orange is migrating down the while curing. I’m using the clamps from tj’s tackle.  Would that be from curing to long? I do a lot of disco colors for walleye. I’ve found for the disco colors it’s best to do at 275 for 30 minutes.  I’ve been applying that to all of my jigs to cure 

1FCA36F0-22DA-43E7-8441-B2534D9A0A9E.jpeg

1F8F882F-59D8-4F44-AE81-6E329CFB1EFA.jpeg

3 hours ago, Jig Man said:

How hot are you heating the heads?  By that I mean is the paint shiny or dull when you dip it?  If it is shiny, try less heat on both coats.  Dull finishes produce a thinner paint coat and are less likely to run.

It’s shiny.  I held  it over the heat gun for a 15 count. White I dipped once. the orange twice because, I didn’t think the orange was dark enough 

I have this issue also when I use make up brushes for the 2nd color around the eye.  Any where else on the jig I don’t have an issue 

so maybe next time I’ll cut how long I heat the jig 

Edited by Mbirdsley

4 hours ago, Mbirdsley said:

Fluid bed.  

Since you’re using a fluid bed, follow the advice of jigman. Cooler temps and quick dips. Once you dip, hit that jig on the side of your fluid bed down on the hook to knock any excess paint off it. Count your seconds in the heat and use as few seconds as you can to get a thin coat on it. If it’s too cool, the powder paint won’t stick. Half on one side, half on the other.

• Like 1

You said you are curing the jig at 275 for 30 minutes, right? Are you using a toaster oven? If you are, is the 275 what you set on the dial or did you check the temp with an oven thermometer? 

If you are using a toaster oven and just set the dial at 275 that is probably your problem. Toaster ovens are notorious for being off......By a lot!  I have my toaster oven set at 325 and the actual temp is 354, that is 29 degrees. So if your oven is off by say 25 degrees, it is only 300 but 30 minutes at that temp is probably too long.

• Like 3

On 4/4/2022 at 4:35 AM, smalljaw said:

You said you are curing the jig at 275 for 30 minutes, right? Are you using a toaster oven? If you are, is the 275 what you set on the dial or did you check the temp with an oven thermometer? 

If you are using a toaster oven and just set the dial at 275 that is probably your problem. Toaster ovens are notorious for being off......By a lot!  I have my toaster oven set at 325 and the actual temp is 354, that is 29 degrees. So if your oven is off by say 25 degrees, it is only 300 but 30 minutes at that temp is probably too long.

Your right I have no idea what the actual temp is.  It’s a 30 dollar one from Walmart that I bought almost ten years ago.  So who knows what it’s actually at. when I get more money coming in I will buy a better toaster oven 

so I did make more jigs.  Heating them up just so the paints gets dull did get rid of the running problem.  I re-dipped in the candy orange twice after the white.  Candy orange was still light after curing. So heated them  up again for 4 seconds on each side and re dipped another 2 coats.  After the 2nd curing they looked good.  So I’m at least on the right track now.

So I totally re-learned on the fly how to powder paint in the fly .  However it all came out good

the candy orange ones are top right.

These just went out to Wisconsin.  I originally messaged the guy to tell him I needed an extra day due to the issues with the candy orange and needing the time for the epoxy to cure.   They guy was so impressed after I showed him the picture he bought 20 more.

the 30 minute thing came from a you tube video and basic premise was lower temp longer time as to not discolor the hooks. It is probably to long.  When I cured the last batch I did  kicked the temp up to 300 for 20 minutes  

33F11B08-D3E2-42F4-B348-83325399730D.jpeg

Edited by Mbirdsley
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Apdriver said:

Really nice powder paint on these jigs. I don’t see anything wrong. Sometimes we are, as tacklecrafters, our own worse critics. You should be proud of those, for sure :worship:

Your right. I think I was imagining problems that weren’t there as this was my first big sale.

4 hours ago, Kasilofchrisn said:

They look good to me as well.

I gave up selling jigs a few years ago and I'm sure glad I did.

It certainly was more hassle for me than it was worth with a quarterly taxes and all that crap.

The good luck to you and your jig sales venture.

Thanks,  things had started out slow.  However, within the last 4 days I’ve sold 100 jigs.  Hopefully I’m making more than what I owe in taxes. I still need to get with the tax lady.  I was waiting for tax season to be done. 

I had been kicking around this idea for a while and finally found a job that would allow me to do it.  As soon as I get the courage up I’m going to go hit some bait stores up .

Bass jigs have been slow but, the season is young.  Walleye jigs are going like gang busters. I figured I’d have local sales but, All if mine have been out of state 

18 hours ago, Mbirdsley said:

Thanks,  things had started out slow.  However, within the last 4 days I’ve sold 100 jigs.  Hopefully I’m making more than what I owe in taxes. I still need to get with the tax lady.  I was waiting for tax season to be done. 

I had been kicking around this idea for a while and finally found a job that would allow me to do it.  As soon as I get the courage up I’m going to go hit some bait stores up .

Bass jigs have been slow but, the season is young.  Walleye jigs are going like gang busters. I figured I’d have local sales but, All if mine have been out of state 

It wasn't the annual taxes I minded so much it was those dang quarterly excise taxes that I really hated.

Losing 10% off the top just for that always sucked. That and having to get it in on time every quarter you know sometimes with my work schedule for my day job and everything it was a pain in the butt.

Good luck with your venture anyways!

I use candy if I want something under to show through, but if you want a straight orange color why use a candy and have to go through multiple dips when you could use an opaque regular orange and get darker look with one dip? Less runny and fussy. Unless I am missing something I can't see in the picture. 

I agree with Smalljaw. I bought an oven thermometer that you put in the toaster oven(temp way off). Don't have to buy a new oven. New one likely to be off too :)

On 4/8/2022 at 7:01 AM, mjs said:

I use candy if I want something under to show through, but if you want a straight orange color why use a candy and have to go through multiple dips when you could use an opaque regular orange and get darker look with one dip? Less runny and fussy. Unless I am missing something I can't see in the picture. 

I agree with Smalljaw. I bought an oven thermometer that you put in the toaster oven(temp way off). Don't have to buy a new oven. New one likely to be off too :)

That’s just what the customer wanted. I guess I could have steered him towards disco orange.  Eventually I’d have to learn how to do it any how  

Edited by Mbirdsley