mark poulson

jig heads melting while curing powder coat

Forgive my if this a no/duh question, but when I cure my TJ's crinkle powder at 375 for 15 minutes per his instructions, instead of my 350 for 30 minutes norm, all of the heads deform a little, and some sag down to a teardrop shape on the bottom of the jig.  I thought maybe it was just too much powder, so I tried filing the blob off, and it is the actual lead that is melting and flowing down.

The jigheads are from LPO, and I've never had an issue  powder coating their jigs and spinnerbaits in the past.

Am I doing something wrong?

What size jigs are making? Here's a trick that I got from YouTube, go to SDG on YouTube and do a search of his video's. He explains it better than I can. This k eps the jig eye open and no more drips of powder paint,because that's what is actully happening, your jigs aren't melting, the powder coat is. Hope this helps.

• Like 1

The only time I have had this happen is when trying to powder coat Owner heads. I suspect they have a lot of tin in them to remain shiny for long periods of time. LPO should be using spincast lead which is like 95% lead mixed with antimony but it still should not melt in an oven.

Allen

• Like 1

On 4/6/2022 at 8:21 PM, Fishin Big said:

What size jigs are making? Here's a trick that I got from YouTube, go to SDG on YouTube and do a search of his video's. He explains it better than I can. This k eps the jig eye open and no more drips of powder paint,because that's what is actully happening, your jigs aren't melting, the powder coat is. Hope this helps.

3/8 oz.

I tried to file the sagging bulge off the bottom of the jig, and there was lead right under the thin layer of powder coat.  I've done that in the past with heavier jigs, and it always just the powder coat that sagged.

I'll check my toaster oven's temperature to see if maybe it jumps way up from 350 to 400, but that would be really strange.

Edited by mark poulson
  • Like 1

On 4/3/2022 at 2:37 PM, Apdriver said:

Strange. Get an oven thermometer and make sure your thermostat is correct on your oven. The smaller toaster types are notoriously incorrect.

I'll check my toaster oven's temperature to see if maybe it jumps way up from 350 to 400, but that would be really strange.

I'll dial back down to 350 for 30 minutes for my next batch.

• Like 1

On 4/9/2022 at 9:25 AM, mark poulson said:

I'll dial back down to 350 for 30 minutes for my next batch.

Even at 400°f that wouldn't melt your lead.

In fact many of the powder paints I use actually recommend curing at 400° f.

But a toaster oven being off 50° wouldn't be strange at all either.

On 4/19/2022 at 6:46 AM, MarkSpolarich said:

Had the same thing happen with LPO jig heads when making bladed jigs (before buying my own mold). Since it has never happened with my lead jigs I guessed they were using tin to cut down cost, which just gave me another reason to buy a mold.

Being as tin retails for $20 lb and lead at $2 or less(my last batch was $.95 locally) I doubt they did it to save money.

Most likely for the weight as tin weighs 1/3 less than lead.

• Like 1