RiverSmallieGuy

Utility Blades-- which are the best?

I am a utility knife carver, and a lot of you guys are as well, and I was wondering what blades combine the best durability, sharpness, and materials for lure carving. I have used the DeWalt BiMetal blades and they are scary sharp, but they don't stay sharp very long, and I have also used the Lenox Gold utility blades, and they aren't all that sharp but they keep their edge longer. What do you guys recommend for blades that are very sharp and very durable?

2 minutes ago, Travis said:

You just have to accept your decision of using a utility knife.  Just use the sharpest blade you can find and chuck as needed. 

Makes sense. I am just asking about what people think are the best all around blades. I have been loving the DeWalt blades, they will shave my whole arm, but they don't last all that long. I really can't complain when they sell the 50 packs for like 10 or 12 bucks. 50 blades means 100 cutting surfaces, but I want to use the best blades I can.

They are cheap disposable products manufactures are using a low quality steel.  Buy the cheapest sharp blades you can find,  craftsman sold a 100 count for around 12 bucks at one time.  I don't think there is much difference is sharpness to be honest with the blades but probably only use a few a year.   The Lenox Gold are considered one of the best but $$$ compared to the Dewalt and others.

Utility knives are a jack of all trades master of none in my shop.  

2 minutes ago, ravenlures said:

I have had a sharpener for a long time and its ok, but I still change blades, I am not much of a carver, but I try.

Wayne

I think it's really hard to sharpen a utility blade to it's original sharpness, or even sharper because they're so thin, but I haven't tried, so I don't know.

Part of the problem is that sharpness and longevity of the edge are always a trade-off.  For the utility blades you probably have a 14-deg angle where a pocket knife might have 25-deg angle.  If you want the edge to last longer it has to have larger angle and then will never be quite as sharp as the original smaller angle.  You might find that resharpening is not as razor sharp as the original edge, but it will maintain the sharpness you give it for a longer time.  If you are going to resharpen, no point in getting titanium coated blades, that's a very thin coating and resharpening takes it right off.  I've found that the easiest way for me to sharpen without a guide is a diamond "steel".  This is basically a rod, covered with diamond bits and with a handle at one end.  It looks like a "steel" used to put an edge on a blade but it removes more material than a normal steel would. 

Here's an example of a diamond "steel" on Amazon that's reasonably priced

https://www.amazon.com/Kota-Japan-Professional-Sharpener-Sharpening/dp/B06W9J9RTN/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=19MD2OW2R1JI0&keywords=diamond+steel+knife+sharpener&qid=1649151623&sprefix=diamond+steel%2Caps%2C230&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUFKUFlERDVRWkc4R1UmZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTA2MjAwMDYzQkgzWDJBN0lQWjBCJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTAwMTAyNTNCRURLQU0zTTRaT0wmd2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGYmYWN0aW9uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

Here's a video that talks about edge angles

https://www.worksharptools.com/what-is-the-best-knife-angle-and-how-do-i-tell-what-angle-my-knife-is/

You can sharpen then but edge retention an issue based on the physical factors of the materials.   I have several marking knives I made for use in the shop with surgical steel scalpel blades sharp as can be but edges don't hold long and as far as carving...better ways to waste one's time.  

It is utility knife... live with it shortcomings. 

For those that are into sharpening Ron Hock probably has one of the best sharpening books out there that covers about all one might want to know.  Likely can find a PDF to download.

https://www.hocktools.com/products/perfectedge.html

3 hours ago, wchilton said:

Part of the problem is that sharpness and longevity of the edge are always a trade-off.  For the utility blades you probably have a 14-deg angle where a pocket knife might have 25-deg angle.  If you want the edge to last longer it has to have larger angle and then will never be quite as sharp as the original smaller angle.  You might find that resharpening is not as razor sharp as the original edge, but it will maintain the sharpness you give it for a longer time.  If you are going to resharpen, no point in getting titanium coated blades, that's a very thin coating and resharpening takes it right off.  I've found that the easiest way for me to sharpen without a guide is a diamond "steel".  This is basically a rod, covered with diamond bits and with a handle at one end.  It looks like a "steel" used to put an edge on a blade but it removes more material than a normal steel would. 

Here's an example of a diamond "steel" on Amazon that's reasonably priced

https://www.amazon.com/Kota-Japan-Professional-Sharpener-Sharpening/dp/B06W9J9RTN/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=19MD2OW2R1JI0&keywords=diamond+steel+knife+sharpener&qid=1649151623&sprefix=diamond+steel%2Caps%2C230&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUFKUFlERDVRWkc4R1UmZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTA2MjAwMDYzQkgzWDJBN0lQWjBCJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTAwMTAyNTNCRURLQU0zTTRaT0wmd2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGYmYWN0aW9uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

Here's a video that talks about edge angles

https://www.worksharptools.com/what-is-the-best-knife-angle-and-how-do-i-tell-what-angle-my-knife-is/

1 hour ago, seakarp said:

Here you go River.

This guy is an engineer type and really puts together some solid testing of lots of tools.

You can get good info and kind of lose yourself in all his testing vids.

1 hour ago, Travis said:

You can sharpen then but edge retention an issue based on the physical factors of the materials.   I have several marking knives I made for use in the shop with surgical steel scalpel blades sharp as can be but edges don't hold long and as far as carving...better ways to waste one's time.  

It is utility knife... live with it shortcomings. 

For those that are into sharpening Ron Hock probably has one of the best sharpening books out there that covers about all one might want to know.  Likely can find a PDF to download.

https://www.hocktools.com/products/perfectedge.html

Thank you all! This helps me in my decision of the best blades.