Fish_N_Fool

How to Clean aluminum molds

Does anyone know of a good way to clean off the sticky residue that builds up on aluminum molds over time without damaging the mold?

I have tried soap and water with a steel wool pad or a scotchbright pad, alcohol with a paper towel, gas on a paper towel, scraping with a credit card and gas, and dry steel wool pad. All work to some degree, None of these work without a lot of elbow grease. Dry steel wool pad seems best so far.

Edited by Fish_N_Fool

Be careful with strong degreaser...strong caustic can attack/corrode aluminum.  Strong acids, same thing.  I'd probably try some type of aluminum-safe mag wheel cleaner.  If what you're seeing is a grey-colored finish that is still smooth it might just be aluminum oxide, in which case I would leave it alone unless it's causing you some kind of problem.  Aluminum oxide is used as a "finish" for a lot of aluminum products and is harder than the aluminum itself and is a protective finish.

Seems odd to get build up like that. A buddy gave me a hand pour brush hog mold once that had a lot of build up on it. I don't have a clue what he was doing but I scrubbed with soap & water & finally got it clean. After  i started using it it never did it again. I figured he wasn't getting his plastic fully cured. I did take some aircraft stripper to a bunch of essential series molds i painted with hi tempo paint that didn't cure right & they actually made better looking baits than they did before i painted them. The ground was grey from all of the aluminium that came off when spraying them with it so that may have had something to do with it. 

Edited by Les Young

I'm not sure of the chemical reactions and I'm sure someone knows better than me - but I clean aluminum parts for powder coating with brake cleaner, carb cleaner and sometimes acetone.  Brake cleaner with a little steel wool or a 3M scouring pad usually cleans up almost anything.  Carb/choke cleaner might be an option a well - most carbs have aluminum parts/bodies... so it "should" be safe... although I'd avoid the carb "parts cleaner" that usually comes in a paint can - that stuff cleans great - but I think it's really aggressive and not sure I'd recommend it.

As with most cleaners/degreasers - if you don't leave it on long - your risk of damage is greatly minimized. 

J.

Edited by SlowFISH

On 4/11/2022 at 1:26 PM, mark poulson said:

Whatever you decide to try, do a test first on the back side of the mold to see if it does any damage.

This is outstanding advice.  

I honestly hadn't ever had residue left behind before.  However,  a used mold showed up the other day with lots of it, so I get it now.  I used dish soap and water and scrubbed it with a hoof pick/brush from the local feed store.  Looks like new as of this morning. 

On 4/7/2022 at 12:46 AM, Frank said:

Baitplastics does leave a residue. It’s more of a sticky surface thing. But all plastic I have used do this and I have cleaned it up with this stuff the whole time. No scrubbing it just wipes off. 

Ohh ,, I just got my 1st - 5 gal . of bait plastics. .  Used mostly Calhouns in the past.  I mite need this advice ,, Hmmm . 

On 4/16/2022 at 8:21 AM, Bass-Boys said:

Ohh ,, I just got my 1st - 5 gal . of bait plastics. .  Used mostly Calhouns in the past.  I mite need this advice ,, Hmmm . 

It's  a little different until it cures than what you're use to.  To me it seems like it's a wetter plastic,  but works great in my opinion.  I've used lureworks & calhouns both & like bait plastics just as much after i got use to it & never notice it anymore. Never have a problem with heat yellowing it when remelting either.  I'll use either of the 3 without question but haven't used anything besides baitplastics the last few years. 

9 hours ago, Les Young said:

It's  a little different until it cures than what you're use to.  To me it seems like it's a wetter plastic,  but works great in my opinion.  I've used lureworks & calhouns both & like bait plastics just as much after i got use to it & never notice it anymore. Never have a problem with heat yellowing it when remelting either.  I'll use either of the 3 without question but haven't used anything besides baitplastics the last few years. 

Glad to here Les.