Deadly Buck

Airbrush Problems

I'm no expert, but I'd try thinning your paint. I can shoot pretty well at 10-15psi if the paint is thin enough. Not that I do often, but I've done it.

What kind of paint are you using? I've found different paints spray differently. I usealmost all created paints, and there is a big difference between the pearl paint and the opaque paint.

My airbrush came with some paints (not surethebrand) and they aremuchthinner and spray better at lower pressure.

try soaking overnight in cleaner. i had one do this one time and i was about to just throw it away. im not sure where or how but it cleaned itself out and worked properly again.

ill also when shoot thinner or isopropyl though at higher psi like 40-45. that sometimes clears up a nasty acting brush.

15 hours ago, Deadly Buck said:

I recently bought my first airbrush. I can clean it all I want but it will only spray paint when moving the lever forward or it will just spit paint. Is this a problem with the thickness of paint or am I not running at a high enough pressure on the air compressor (25psi)?

Disclaimer: I don't own an airbrush, but what I have to offer is to look at some of the best airbrush paints on the market that can generally be shot right out of the bottle, such as Createx Wicked colors, and use that as an example as to how thin/thick it should be. Simply thin your paints. Trial and error also teaches you a lot.

Sounds like either too thick of paint or not enough air pressure.  These two can be interchangeable.  Watch some videos on thinning paint.  I like mine about as  thick as heavy cream or half and half.  Air pressure to the brush will vary between 20-40 psi.  Really watered down or thin paints will use less air pressure and thicker syrupy paints will need more. I find I tend to stick to about 30psi these days.   I like to thin with a little 90% alcohol and createx thinning solution, but water will do in a pinch.  

Edited by Bentrod425
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1