cerhardt161

What are the best scents to add?

I like to fish all my own soft plastics whenever i can but in tournaments the max scent plastics always come out and end up catching the most fish. I have the berkley bass attractant scent bottle but its a very different smell and garlic is my usual go to now. Just wondering if anyone has had some scents that work close to as well as the berkley baits. 

I have been using LureCraft Cricket scent. It seems since using this my catches have been going way up.

However...If you want to know what death smells like, this is the scent. It just out and out stinks! I add a few drops to a bag of baits, some salt and do not open that bag ever again unless I am fishing.

And mind you, this is cut with worm oil. I use maybe an ounce of scent to about 3oz of oil.

12 hours ago, Tiderunner said:

I have been using LureCraft Cricket scent. It seems since using this my catches have been going way up.

However...If you want to know what death smells like, this is the scent.

I used to use that as well.  Sent some baits to a friend that I had used it on.  He asked what it was and I asked him what he thought it was.  He said "Well, it smells like ass".

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, bryanmc said:

I used to use that as well.  Sent some baits to a friend that I had used it on.  He asked what it was and I asked him what he thought it was.  He said "Well, it smells like ass".

I'll pass this info on to my son.  He's always looking for the nastiest scent.  LOL 

12 hours ago, bryanmc said:

Excellent description. It made me LOL for real! But why is everyone spelling "anise" wrong?

9 hours ago, alsworms said:

I'll pass this info on to my son.  He's always looking for the nastiest scent.  LOL 

Hard to top that one. My son and I will be at opposite ends of the boat and he complains about the smell.

when I share baits with my friends I always remind them not to open the bag in the house.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wallyc14 said:

Garlic is the most potent one I have found. My shop smells like it. It over powers everything.

I have zero proof of this, but I've heard many times that garlic is used more for masking human scent rather than a fish attractant.  Maybe that's just up in my head, but I never feel confident with it. 

A little unrelated, but I read a pretty interesting article about oil sents and if bass can smell them a while back. Apparently, oil sents don't work because they are not water soluble. Ill link the article so yall can have a look:

https://www.outdoorlife.com/fishing/do-scented-fishing-lures-work/

Edit: Alsworms, I have also heard oils are used to mask human sent. Perhaps the oil keeps our sent hidden from the fish by acting as a water resistant barrier? 

Edited by Aaron856
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Aaron856 said:

A little unrelated, but I read a pretty interesting article about oil sents and if bass can smell them a while back. Apparently, oil sents don't work because they are not water soluble. Ill link the article so yall can have a look:

https://www.outdoorlife.com/fishing/do-scented-fishing-lures-work/

Edit: Alsworms, I have also heard oils are used to mask human sent. Perhaps the oil keeps our sent hidden from the fish by acting as a water resistant barrier? 

Once again, I have to say it would be so cool if we could just ask the fish.  :D

• Haha 2

This is just my opinion but "not water soluble" is very relative. There are components of oils that is soluble in water. This may mean only a very small amount can be dispersed in a a lot of water but as fish can detect some substances in 1 part per many millions it can not be ruled out even if they are defined as "practically insoluble". 

Also, taste may play a part. 

• Thanks 1

Good answer. Its highly likely taste plays a part. To quote the aforementioned article:

"...bites it, which activates two sets of taste buds in its mouth so it can quickly determine if it should swallow it. "

Now, the question is, how would someone make a gel like, water soluble sent that holds to the bait AND attracts the fish

4 hours ago, Aaron856 said:

Good answer. Its highly likely taste plays a part. To quote the aforementioned article:

"...bites it, which activates two sets of taste buds in its mouth so it can quickly determine if it should swallow it. "

Now, the question is, how would someone make a gel like, water soluble sent that holds to the bait AND attracts the fish

Probably by mixing water soluble and not so water soluble substances in the right proportion. I can unfortunately not go in depth on exactly what is in it but I have spent a lot of time making such a gel.

Edit: here is some underwater video of the gel. Two identical baits, one with the gel. This is not a commercial product.

Edited by Norwegian
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1