Jonah

Lure paint removal

1 hour ago, Jonah said:

What’s the best way to remove the paint from a store bought lure? Thanks in advance for

any/all replies

Generally, on a store bought ABS plastic lure you need to pop the eyes off and then you can use something like 120-220 grit sandpaper and sand it off. Or, you can. file it off, but generally a file would be too coarse and harm the lure. Unless it's like a micro-file. 

• Like 1

I’ve sanded lures but found that to be damaging. What’s worked best for me is to wrap the lure in paper towels that I’ve soaked in denatured alcohol. I then wrap that tightly with aluminum foil to prevent the alcohol from evaporating. This usually removes or loosens the paint enough to wipe it off. It usually takes two to three repetitions to get all of the paint off. 

• Like 1

I ordered 3 lures on Ebay that were supposed to be wood, so I thought nothing of soaking in acetone overnight guess what yep, they were plastic two down one to go. You never know for sure what you get so just scratch it a little to make sure it is wood. At my age I am still learning. :eek:

Wayne

• Haha 1

On 4/9/2022 at 2:43 PM, Jonah said:

What’s the best way to remove the paint from a store bought lure? Thanks in advance for

any/all replies

I have done many over the years using acetone soaked rags . I started out sanding baits but it took forever and discovered using acetone was ultimately faster .  With the rag wet just keep rubbing the bait with the hooks and split rings removed . You will see the paint collecting on the rag as you go . When a rag is full of paint discard it and use a new rag again soaked with acetone . when all of the paint is gone a clear bodied bait will look slightly cloudy after all of the acetone evaporates from the surface . I then take a new clean rag soaked with acetone and wipe the bait in one direction (head to tail) 1 time each on the top ,sides ,and bottom of the bait and set aside to dry to remove any cloudiness or thin paint residue on the surface .   (sometimes you may have to do this final step a couple of times but usually not ) Use the real acetone from the hardware store not the scented stuff for removing nail polish . 

Edited by jigmeister
error
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Outlaw4 said:

opaque white ;)

that is my style 

I was not going to post it because I don’t repaint plastic lures(rare if I even buy them) and I usually loose a lure to a snag before I consider repainting in general 

But I when I do I am too lazy to strip off the paint so a opaque white base coat is all I do 

Truth is my personal baits are often my blemished mistakes so I don’t care what they look like as long as the fish bite them 

• Like 3

Just now, Hillbilly voodoo said:

that is my style 

I was not going to post it because I don’t repaint plastic lures(rare if I even buy them) and I usually loose a lure to a snag before I consider repainting in general 

But I when I do I am too lazy to strip off the paint so a opaque white base coat is all I do 

Truth is my personal baits are often my blemished mistakes so I don’t care what they look like as long as the fish bite them 

• Like 1

I started out  stripping paint off some bomber crank baits that were clear underneath the paint using acetone with no sanding  . I inquired with  Bomber to see if I could purchase the baits I wanted unpainted which they said they sold but the price was about twice what one of their painted bait's cost ???   Later I started stripping Rebel Pop-R's with acetone to get a clear popper that lay underneath the smooth  models . 

• Like 1