Lazybassman0010

I bought a second hand custom made fishing rod and it's fraying apart?

Ounce the fibers are damaged and broken like that, I don’t think there’s much you can do with it. As a matter of fact, and most fishermen don’t know this, if you hang a bait and it flies back and hits the rod in the process of unhanging it, depending on the impact it can damage that rod to the point of failure later in the day or period of time. 

you could try to epoxy something over it but won’t be more than a catfish rod. Not sure I would waste my time as it’s likely to break the next time you use it. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

I agree with @Apdriver it looks toast. If you happen to have some other scrap pieces of rod...you could cut a sleeve and slide it over that spot and epoxy in place. You would need to take all the guides above that spot off first. Preferably a piece of fiberglass. What can happen if you used a sleeve it that now its stiffer then the area around it and sometimes will break right at the sleeve edge....but sometimes they hold up.

Hi, Im new to this forum but maybe I can help. Is there a better pic so I can see how extensive the damage is? Where is the damage located? From the looks of it, It looks like an old rod that that has the original epoxy rod coat dissolving. If it has sentimental value and you really want to keep it/fix it, heres what I would do. I would cut it half an inch away from damage, buy a carbon fiber rod that RC cars use, taper it down (save the shavings) and  insert it into the rod. Epoxy it into place, then use the small shavings and mix it into the epoxy like fiberglass and fill in the damaged area and sand it down. You can either wrap it with thread or paint it (not enamel) and re clear it

Sorry to hear about the issue with your fishing rod. It's frustrating when equipment starts to wear out, but there are solutions. Have you considered reaching out to local fishing shops or online communities for advice or replacement parts? Sometimes, they may have the exact part you need or can offer suggestions for repairs.

On 3/5/2024 at 2:41 PM, Gigglynx said:

Sorry to hear about the issue with your fishing rod. It's frustrating when equipment starts to wear out, but there are solutions. Have you considered reaching out to local fishing shops or online communities for advice or replacement parts? Sometimes, they may have the exact part you need or can offer suggestions for repairs.

Additionally, exploring the Sacramento Flea Markets aggregation platform might yield some options for replacement parts or even skilled artisans who can help fix up your rod. Don't give up hope just yet – with a bit of research and effort, you might be able to restore your rod to its former glory!