Chrishill01

Good cheap heat gun brand

If I could make a recommendation... space heaters and heat guns get RED hot. They can set things on fire. Big, expensive things. I have had multiple heat guns end their lives by spitting out red hot metal chunks after years of use. They will all give up the ghost at some point, but whatever you decide on, at the very least least don't buy cheap tools. Get yourself a name brand that has a reputation and a warranty and wasn't assembled by 7-year old kids on the dirt floor of a hut somewhere. You don't need a $100 heat gun, but you don't need to be super cheap with a tool like this, either.

• Thanks 1

I have a corded DeWalt heat gun and I really like it.

Especially like the infinite temperature adjustment on the back.

When I make jigs out of tin or when I make bladed ice jigs that are made with solder it is so nice to be able to turn down the heat so it can't melt my jigs but heats them up hot enough to powder paint.

It still has a high and low fan setting but infinite adjustment on the back.

I don't think I will ever go back to a standard heat gun with only high and low settings.

I've owned mine for several years so I'm not sure on the price but I think they retail for around $80

Edited by Kasilofchrisn
  • Thanks 1

Really been satisfied with a Porter Cable heat gun from Lowes. I’ve had it for quite a few years. It has variable heat adjustment and two speed settings which make a infinite adjustment heat gun. The previous was a Harbor Freight cheapo that spit its guts out the front. Think I went through a couple of those. The PC can be had for 35 bucks or so.

• Thanks 1

I have used the Harbor Freight versions for quite a few years, and I do give them quite a workout.  I use to get maybe about a year out of the hot air gun.  It was never a problem with the heating element, it would be the blower fan. They have cheap shaded pole blower motors and the floating powder would eat into the bearings.  I have since used dryer sheets held on with a rubber band at the intake vent to filter the entering air.  I now get 2 to 3 years out of the gun.  Not bad for $10.00.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/20/2022 at 2:20 PM, squarehead paint said:

I've owned quite a few different brands over the years and the one I have now is my favorite. For $26 from Home Depot, you can't beat it... and don't bother with the multi-tmp version for twice the price, it's a pain to use.

Wagner 2-temp heat gun

I have an older version of that heat gun, and it works great.

• Thanks 1