RiverSmallieGuy

Scroll Saw Issue

11 minutes ago, RiverSmallieGuy said:

Here's the model: Ryobi SC164VS 16" Variable Speed Scroll Saw

https://manualsbrain.com/en/manuals/1249775/?page=9

Drop foot lock knob.  Should easily unscrew slid the drop foot to the table and the lock in place.  Could be frozen if sat for a long time and need a little penetrating oil then knock any rush off. 

31 minutes ago, Go55 said:

I meant real photo of "yours"

Here ya go! Don't judge my paint station lol. My saw ain't staying there, I just have some very young (1-4) yr old siblings who could mess with it because I don't have a station for it yet where they can't get to it, so I put it at my paint station for now because my paint station is outside in my garage/shed.

Screen Shot 2022-04-28 at 5.56.37 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-04-28 at 5.56.56 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-04-28 at 6.00.10 PM.png

Just now, RiverSmallieGuy said:

Here ya go! Don't judge my paint station lol. My saw ain't staying there, I just have some very young (1-4) yr old siblings who could mess with it because I don't have a station for it yet where they can't get to it, so I put it at my paint station for now because my paint station is outside in my garage/shed.

Screen Shot 2022-04-28 at 5.56.37 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-04-28 at 5.56.56 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-04-28 at 6.00.10 PM.png

I think that mine is an older model of the saw that you're showing, but I have looked at the features and designs and they are very similar, just slightly different in aesthetics and probably internally as well.

32 minutes ago, Travis said:

https://manualsbrain.com/en/manuals/1249775/?page=9

Drop foot lock knob.  Should easily unscrew slid the drop foot to the table and the lock in place.  Could be frozen if sat for a long time and need a little penetrating oil then knock any rush off. 

I have noticed that foot lock mechanism, and I was looking at it and the foot is attached to the arm with an Allen screw, so I tightened that thing down so that I could bend the fingers down slightly, and that mostly solved the issue of it not going down to the table. The other part that I need to do is grab a junk board of pine that I have, cut it down to size and clamp it to the table. That would give me an extra 3/4" of height to the table. The only other issue is the smaller 1"/3/4" pieces of pine that I have and use a lot is a little too small to fit in the fingers. I may have to bend the finger inward toward each other to solve that issue.

21 minutes ago, Go55 said:

Found this video on YouTube

Its model SC165VS not a SC164VS of yours but I hope something in this video helps.

6 minutes ago, Go55 said:

Also check this out

Thanks man! That saw is just a newer version of mine, all the features are the same except the looks and the build of it.

Once you loosen the knob should be able to push the drop foot down to the table if needed.  If it isn't raising and lowering it is frozen in place and you need to free it.  Should be no need to add a 3/4 pine table to it.

Don't bend the fingers... use larger pieces of wood or make a few waste blocks and use double sided sticky tape.

clamps-scroll-saw.jpg

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Travis said:

Once you loosen the knob should be able to push the drop foot down to the table if needed.  If it isn't raising and lowering it is frozen in place and you need to free it.  Should be no need to add a 3/4 pine table to it.

Don't bend the fingers... use larger pieces of wood or make a few waste blocks and use double sided sticky tape.

clamps-scroll-saw.jpg

That means I finally have a use for a pair of vise grips like the ones you showed here! Very good advice man! Take a couple pieces of wood that are the same thickness as your work and clamp them together and then just go at it! Thanks 

Loosen knob (A with pink allow in picture)

Spray WD-40 or any rust dissolving type lube like "Liquid Wrench" from the upper side of the arm adjuster (B with yellow allow in picture)

Let it soak overnight at least. Let it sit longer is better.

Gently tap the top of adjustment arm (C with green allow in picture) with a small hammer (Do not hit hard!) 
Tap tap tap... It should flee the arm and the whole finger thingy become adjustable up and down.

I will not online for a while from now... I hope above helps.

Saw.jpg

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Go55 said:

Loosen knob (A with pink allow in picture)

Spray WD-40 or any rust dissolving type lube like "Liquid Wrench" from the upper side of the arm adjuster (B with yellow allow in picture)

Let it soak overnight at least. Let it sit longer is better.

Gently tap the top of adjustment arm (C with green allow in picture) with a small hammer (Do not hit hard!) 
Tap tap tap... It should flee the arm and the whole finger thingy become adjustable up and down.

I will not online for a while from now... I hope above helps.

Saw.jpg

Yep! That scroll saw has been sitting for the better part of 3 years, so it was a little stuck haha