Mbirdsley

Bad hooks

So I had a customer order 100 1/2 oz sickle walleye jigs.  The hooks are eagle claws. I go to start pouring them and right off the bat I find 5 hooks that didn’t have the hook eyes formed.  I bought from LPO.  Is this normal or just the nature of the beast? I guess I should order more than 100 hooks at a time.  Luckily the customer agreed to sub in 5 Mustad black nickel hooks

image.jpg

This is not normal at all and different than what I experienced.  I have only had 3 bad ones out of thousands but the Matzuo sickles were really bad. I'd get 100 and I'd have between 20 and 30 bad.

The worst was an order of 1000 Matzuo sickle in which I had 331 unusable and over 160 that I had to bend to make them work. The EC version has bee a lot better but it looks like they may be having some issues.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, smalljaw said:

This is not normal at all and different than what I experienced.  I have only had 3 bad ones out of thousands but the Matzuo sickles were really bad. I'd get 100 and I'd have between 20 and 30 bad.

The worst was an order of 1000 Matzuo sickle in which I had 331 unusable and over 160 that I had to bend to make them work. The EC version has bee a lot better but it looks like they may be having some issues.

weird, i have used thousands of the matzuo sickles and very rarely had any issues with them (maybe 1-2 per 1000), i really wish they wouldnt have gone bankrupt, i loved those hooks. the victory sickles are ok, but they dont stay sharp as long as the matzuos, though my customers dont seem to mind, they love the sickle style

I buy a lot of eagle claw hooks and I only get a bad one every few hundred hooks.

To be honest I don't remember the last time I got a bad one.

I mostly order from Barlow's but I don't know that that makes a difference.

I'm sure if you call LPO they'll make it right with you somehow.

• Like 1

You always get a few bad ones no matter the manufacturer. What I don't understand is how a reseller that buys a 1k count box and breaks them down into bags did not notice these? If you call them the easiest thing for them to do is just send you a 10 pack of hooks. 

As for quality control I do not think Matzuo had anyone or they did a lot of drinking on the job. On average 20% of their hooks I bought were unusable. I am not talking about the normal 90 degree hooks that are at 75 and you can fix them with some pliers. The ones I am referring to look like the pics above or are bent 90 degrees in the wrong direction.

Allen

• Like 1