highwayman

Flippin stick butt extension

In my old age I've discovered I need more leverage to haul in all those lunkers I catch (I wish;I'm just feeble)I have a Bass Pro Shops rod that has tapped end cap but when I tried a SAE 1/4-20 and a 1/4-28 neither would start.If it is a metric thread what size would it be?Thanks in advance!

On 5/13/2022 at 9:41 AM, highwayman said:

In my old age I've discovered I need more leverage to haul in all those lunkers I catch (I wish;I'm just feeble)I have a Bass Pro Shops rod that has tapped end cap but when I tried a SAE 1/4-20 and a 1/4-28 neither would start.If it is a metric thread what size would it be?Thanks in advance!

I have one in the garage.  It's the 2004 baspro version.  It has 13 teeth to the inch, according to my thread gauge.  It looks like it's 1/4" diameter, but I don't have a tap or die to check it against.

I don't think just a threaded insert would have enough leverage to make a long butt extension work.  I think you'd probably wind upbreaking it out of the rod butt.

In the past, I've cut the butt end off, worked a 12" wood dowel down so it fit into the last four inches of the rod butt, epoxied it in, and then wrapped it with some grip tape I had from fixing golf clubs.  I don't know what's available now.

Edited by mark poulson

I've finished it and hopefully will get a chance to try it out.There is a story that comes with it though.I hadn't gotten around to getting a 6mm test bolt from the hardware store.My wife asked me to change a leaking hose nozzle.When I was changing it ,I noticed it was made in China (what a surprise!) but the adjuster thread on the end of it looked like a 1/4"-6mm size and much to my surprise it worked in the tapped butt end.I used JB weld epoxy and JB weld regular because I used a washer,a dowl,the 6mm threaded rod,then wrapped with shrink rod grip.Keeping my fingers crossed on it holding up and getting out!

"Now for the rest of the story"(Paul Harvey) Finally got out to use the doctored rod and it worked pretty good-for a while.The splice broke on a cast.When I cut it open to find out what happened I found that what I thought was the metal butt plate was actually the original plastic one that came unglued.All the stuff I did held-at least for now.So epoxied everything back up and will try round two!