Flaswimbaiter

Alumilite AlumiRes (RC-3) Tan Casting Resin

I have been using this resin for about six month with no issues. I have a system, which was derived from trial and error, that has worked consistently. However, over the last month I can only get one out of three pours to cure/harden properly. I am doing the same thing over and over and can’t figure out the problem. The only change I can think of is the weather, but last year I was pouring in my garage with Alumilite Amazing Casting resin with no problem. 

I forgot to mention that the belly of the bait is what does cure, the rest is hard.

Any ideas?

Edited by Flaswimbaiter

I have had this happen with Alumilite white if I don’t shake both jugs well before mixing.

this is my theory anyway. I have only had this happen on my first pour if I have let my resin sit unused for a while. A good shake and no issues on the next pours

I have a lure making room in my house where my resin is stored and all my pouring is done. So temp is always good and I live in a fairly dry area so humidity is not an issue. So I don’t think it’s weather related 

This is what I have experienced 

• Like 2

On 5/23/2022 at 8:26 AM, Hillbilly voodoo said:

I have had this happen with Alumilite white if I don’t shake both jugs well before mixing.

this is my theory anyway. I have only had this happen on my first pour if I have let my resin sit unused for a while. A good shake and no issues on the next pours

I have a lure making room in my house where my resin is stored and all my pouring is done. So temp is always good and I live in a fairly dry area so humidity is not an issue. So I don’t think it’s weather related 

This is what I have experienced 

I have not been doing that, I will next time. 

• Like 1

I use this resin a lot. I find heating the RTV molds and mixing 55% hardener and 45% resin by weight allow for consistant pours.

I preheat the molds on an electric skillet until just hot enough that I can still handle it, probably about 130F o so. 

Edited by robalo01
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, robalo01 said:

I use this resin a lot. I find heating the RTV molds and mixing 55% hardener and 45% resin by weight allow for consistant pours.

I preheat the molds on an electric skillet until just hot enough that I can still handle it, probably about 130F o so. 

I never thought about changing the formula that may just help I’ll try it on a small part

I know it is counter intuitive, but more hardener actually makes it harden more slowly. I think heating the mold is more important than the formula shift. I find if I don´t have a hot mold, it hardens from the center out and the corners and points don't form well.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, robalo01 said:

I know it is counter intuitive, but more hardener actually makes it harden more slowly. I think heating the mold is more important than the formula shift. I find if I don´t have a hot mold, it hardens from the center out and the corners and points don't form well.

Would a hair dryer heat them enough?