Flaswimbaiter

What kind of bondo

Most common ones used are epoxy and sawdust mixed together or baking soda and superglue mix. For shallow scratches basic wood filler works but use a good strong sealer on your blank

These are some things I have used but I also don’t carve details like scales or gills where you might want a different option 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Hillbilly voodoo said:

Most common ones used are epoxy and sawdust mixed together or baking soda and superglue mix. For shallow scratches basic wood filler works but use a good strong sealer on your blank

These are some things I have used but I also don’t carve details like scales or gills where you might want a different option 

I need something for non flat surfaces. I may give wood putty a try. 

I have been using bondo and as long as you catch it fast it before it is fully cured bondo is is really easy to work. what I do is put it on heavy you wait a few and if you catch it right you can cut off most of the excess  wait a few more any you can gently sand it flat. the next day it's hard as rock

I just started casting and I was shocked with how soft and easy to sand it was. But looking back I should bot have been surprised since the micro balloons are used to extend, thicken and make the epoxy  easier to work.  The last time I was getting resin, I also got wood flour I had heard you can use it with CA glue just like baking soda and it does work the same though it seems to get hotter in the reaction. But that is more of a ballast hole wire slot filler.

50/50 wood flour and epoxy should work the same as the micro balloned resin but I have not personally tried that yet.

12 hours ago, aulrich said:

I have been using bondo and as long as you catch it fast it before it is fully cured bondo is is really easy to work. what I do is put it on heavy you wait a few and if you catch it right you can cut off most of the excess  wait a few more any you can gently sand it flat. the next day it's hard as rock

I just started casting and I was shocked with how soft and easy to sand it was. But looking back I should bot have been surprised since the micro balloons are used to extend, thicken and make the epoxy  easier to work.  The last time I was getting resin, I also got wood flour I had heard you can use it with CA glue just like baking soda and it does work the same though it seems to get hotter in the reaction. But that is more of a ballast hole wire slot filler.

50/50 wood flour and epoxy should work the same as the micro balloned resin but I have not personally tried that yet.

Which bondo? Do you have a pic?

You can still sand it after it cured, just not cut it? 

Edited by Flaswimbaiter

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/bondo-body-repair-kit-0475653p.html#plp

This is the stuff I use. I have never timed the workability and it will be hugely temperature dependent. I did some looking and it looks like the first 30 min after the initial cure is what they call the green stage  where it works really easy.  so it is a light touch to get to 90% then let it sit for a while and you can get the rest of the way.

There is a wood version of bondo, it uses wood flour filler vs whatever is in the automotive stuff is filled with. I would suspect it is softer in the final cure

• Like 2

I also like the bondo aulrich posted.  I will put in just a small amount of the hardener, so I have some working time.  Make sure its all the way mixed.  Then once I force it into the slot or whatever needs filling, I will wait about 4-5 minutes (very much depends on the amount of hardener).  Once it is semi hard it is super easy to use a razor knife and take off all the high points.  Then once hardened, sand down as required.  

I sometimes use epoxy/saw dust, wood filler, or the baking soda super glue trick.  They all have their places.  Bondo works well for a larger slot on my musky lures (it is also the cheapest and one of the strongest!). 

• Like 2

I use this stuff, works well for what I need. Just squeeze out what you need and start spreading or filling. I've used it on both wood and resin. I use a small square of very thin plastic to spread it,  like stencil plastic material from Hobby Lobby.  Sands easy but can clog sandpaper up pretty well tho.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Bondo-Glazing-and-Spot-Putty-00907ES-4-5-oz-1-Tube/16927984?fulfillmentIntent=Shipping

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Flaswimbaiter said:

Thanks for the info guys. I think wood filler would work if I use it before sealing the bait, but for resin baits, I need this bondo. 

I use wood filler on shallow scratches or filling bubbles in resin lures without issues. A little supper glue over it after it’s dry though 

• Like 2