EOL

Gluing eyes

Any suggestions on types of glue work best for soft plastics.   Ive tried super glue, super glue gel , epoxy and eyes keep falling off..  I have been forced to clear dip my bait which I'm not a fan of.  My baits are oil free.   Only thing i can think of is the backing on eyes is separating...thanks in advance

4 hours ago, MEL said:

Have you tried www.prosoftbaitglue.com.   YOU TUBE demos look like it might work.

That's all I ever used and had great luck with it, but I feel the need to break down and ask this stupid question.......

What do y'all mean by clear dipping and would someone care to share how it's done? 

3 hours ago, alsworms said:

Thanks, Dink.  That's really cool. 

The Megabass Spark Shad is one of my favorite swimbaits, but I notice their eyes are constantly falling off.  You'd think Megabass would have enough money to fix that.  LOL. 

It's like Gary Yamamoto told the audience at the Anglers Marine Bass a Thon one years.  He was asked how to keep senkos from getting torn up so easily.  He said, "Just buy more worms."  Megabass is probably just happy to sell more baits.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, mark poulson said:

It's like Gary Yamamoto told the audience at the Anglers Marine Bass a Thon one years.  He was asked how to keep senkos from getting torn up so easily.  He said, "Just buy more worms."  Megabass is probably just happy to sell more baits.

And they would be right because I keep buying them! Sometimes the conversation on the boat is funny though.....

"Hey son look at this one......it actually has BOTH eyes!!"  :D

• Haha 1

I was doing it good with just a brand of super glue type glue… a drop behind the eye and a big drop over it covering all the hole the eye is in… it melted the plastisol and made a durable cover and the eyes didn’t fall off…

I was a year working this way…

One day it sudently started to fail and I haven’t been able to make it work again…

I use gorilla super glue and a 70% isopropyl alcohol solution as an accelerant. I use a toothpick to dab a tiny bit of glue on the eye opening of the swimbait and then I use a Q-tip to dampen the back of the plastic eye with the alcohol and it sets almost instantly. You can clear dip it afterwards but I have never had an eye come off. You would have to tear the actual bait to get the eye off.

• Thanks 1

Loctite Gel Super Glue Works pretty good but I only use that on baits for personal use. Baits I sell I clear dip the heads.

I don't personally care if I lose an eye after a few casts on a disposable soft bait, but I want to ensure my customers retain theirs until the bait itself is destroyed.

I only clear dip the head portion just past the eyes, if you clear dip an entire bait you will lose any scaling or detail.

They sell clear dip, but I just use a soft blend of plastisol.

Edited by Haas
  • Like 1