Chris Catignani

Making crank bait lips...

Up till now...

I have several templates that I trace on to Lexan...then I cut it out with a scroll saw.

Sometimes it works ok...but more times than not its not perfect.
I do some additional shaping with sand paper before installing.
...and sometime there is more shaping after the install.

Looking for some tips to improve the process.

The method I used was template blocks with a small handle. I cut my lexan close to shape and used double side tape to stick it to the block. Then I trimmed it up with a table mounted laminate trimmer. Lightly sanded the edges when I was finished 

personally I am done working with lexan now because I don’t enjoy working with it. There is so much that can be done without a lip

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I rough cut my Lexan with tin snips, and sand to final shape.

For me, the key is having one flat side to use for layout on the blue tape I cover the Lexan with.

I draw a centerline off of the flat face, and use that to draw a final shape with a ball point pen.

Then I trim close to those lines, sand to the actual lines, and dry fit the lip into the lure using the centerline to get it sitting right.

Then I remove the part of the blue tape where the lip seats inside the lure, and glue it in, using gap filling super glue and accelerant.

Edited by mark poulson
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have commented in the past on how to properly cut Lexan/Polycarbonate....and I think it pretty much goes unheard..

1. use a table saw or chop saw.

2. This is a must!!! use a SHARP CARBIDE BLADE!! Minimum 80 tooth blade preferably higher.

3. cuts should be made at a slow pace.

4. For a beautiful edge finish use a propane torch to shine the edges( it don't take much), be sure and not to burn the material.

5. This is the fastest and most accurate way to make exact pieces with little practice.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, azsouth said:

I have commented in the past on how to properly cut Lexan/Polycarbonate....and I think it pretty much goes unheard..

1. use a table saw or chop saw.

2. This is a must!!! use a SHARP CARBIDE BLADE!! Minimum 80 tooth blade preferably higher.

3. cuts should be made at a slow pace.

4. For a beautiful edge finish use a propane torch to shine the edges( it don't take much), be sure and not to burn the material.

5. This is the fastest and most accurate way to make exact pieces with little practice.

You're a braver man than I, azsouth.  

I use a vinyl printer paper, draw half the lip with the top part on the factory edge, then cut half of it fold it over to make it symmetrical. Then peel and place the top part on a strait edge of the lexan. Cut it out a little outside the lines then use my disk sander to finish it off.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have used a small c clamp to hold together a stack of lips.  I will cut them to rough shape (individually) on a band/scroll saw.  Clamp them together then I will use my belt sander to finish the shaping.  It works ok.  It ensures you at least have consistency between that particular batch of lips.  I usually only make like 10 lures of the same type, so I don't personally need 1000's, in that case you may need a better system.  

On 5/24/2022 at 12:36 PM, mark poulson said:

You're a braver man than I, azsouth.  

:lolhuh:  I doubt you are alone in your thoughts. 

Breaking down sheet goods isn't an issue  and even smaller rectangular blanks using a cross cut sled would be very straight forward process that anyone with average table saw skills wouldn't blink an eye at doing. 

Anything past that and I wouldn't advise anyone to attempt to cut out something like a crank bait lip on a table saw without some very specific set ups involving sleds, hold downs, etc..  

Frankly posts like that make me cringe as skill sets vary considerable.  There are several that will come across this post and not really put much thought into it.   They have a table saw and read you can cup lips for lures on a lure making site so off they go with to cut out small rounded lips for their cranks.  For many not real familiar with a table saw they can get into trouble very quickly. 

I don't like things to be overly moderated and find most "safety" things way over the top but honestly a post that should have been removed without some very specific details on how to proceed safely.  

Edited by Travis
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1