Vodkaman

SPAM!!!

9 hours ago, Vodkaman said:

It seems that TU is having a severe spam problem. Obviously all coming from the same person and possibly the same IP address. If you need a volunteer to help deal with the work load problem then I am at your service.

Dave

Personally, I check this twice a day.  Myself.......like the other moderators.........have day jobs and lives and don't sit in front of TU 24/7.  We are doing the best we can. 

The recent spam has been deleted and the user banned.  It is unfortunate that losers choose a place like TU to try and sell their ridiculous products, but it does happen.  We try to stay on top of it.  In the meantime, I might suggest chilling out a bit and not letting SPAM get to you so much.  Personally, I know every time I look for trouble, I find it  ;-)

6 hours ago, squarehead paint said:

i'm wondering if anyone is still at the helm or if this ship is drifting aimlessly. i reported the spam this weekend and it's still there... that would be unfortunate.

I have been a member of other sites (non fishing related) where I read the same SPAM for a month or more before it's taken down.  You reported it over the weekend, 3 days ago.  You have been a member here for 5 months.  Tackle Underground started in 1998.  Drifting aimlessly?  I think we'll be okay.  LOL

Again people.......not trying to be a jerk here, but we try the best we can.  Sometimes things fall between the cracks and we as humans might miss something, but let me make a suggestion.  If we miss something (and I mean something that's been up for 2 days, not 2 hours!) send me a message and direct me to where the problem is.  I will be more than happy to take care of it.  Posts like these just generally create more trouble. 

• Like 1

Alsworms - sorry if I gave the wrong impression. I did try to word my post so that I was NOT attacking the moderators but merely acknowledging the problem and to offer my services.

If you really feel that this post will make the situation worse, then just remove it. No problem here.

Dave

Edited by Vodkaman

6 hours ago, alsworms said:

You reported it over the weekend, 3 days ago.  You have been a member here for 5 months.  Tackle Underground started in 1998.  Drifting aimlessly?  I think we'll be okay.  LOL

Sorry for offending. I may be a new member here, but not to forums. I have owned a discussion community of over 30,000 users for also over 24 years. Spam is removed in minutes, if we get it at all. I won't report it again—if it doesn't bother you, I won't let it bother me. Tight lines, carry on.

No worries, guys.  Hind sight is always 20/20 and I shouldn't have posted that when I had a miserable day.  Lesson learned.  I'm seriously only a complete jerk like twice a year and you guys just happened to catch one.  LOL 

The thing is most often these people are initially trying to sell something, then get pissed when their posts are removed and the user is banned.  You would think it would stop there, but in most cases it doesn't.  They log in as a new member using a different ISP address and now their sole purpose is to irritate us.  And round and round we go.  It's no fun, but we do try to weed out the bad. 

Thank you guys for hanging in there with us!

Chris

SPAM is a never-ending battle.

The best thing that can be done is for any of you who see it to flag/report it immediately.

When you do that, we (the admin and moderators get notified.

Sometimes we get to it right away. Other times, if we are busy, it might take a while before it gets cleaned up.

TU is not a drifting ship. We are still here. But sometimes life happens and the cleanup isn't quite as speedy as we would all like it to be ;)

Bear with us and we will get it taken care of as quickly as we can!

On 5/24/2022 at 7:18 AM, Vodkaman said:

It seems that TU is having a severe spam problem. Obviously all coming from the same person and possibly the same IP address. If you need a volunteer to help deal with the work load problem then I am at your service.

Dave

IP addresses (and email addresses) are flagged when a person is banned for spamming. Many of these people are using a VPN to hide their IP address and location, so they can slip through again and continue to SPAM using a different email address.

• Thanks 1