danthefisherman

Making Your Own 3D Lure Eyes

Hi TU,

As my hard baits are getting more and more refined, it’s almost a shame to glue on cheap factory eyes at the very end of a build. I’ve been searching for realistic eyes that will compliment my baits better, but it’s difficult to find exactly what I’m looking for…so in true builder fashion: why not try to make them myself?

I’ve done a bit of research and think that I’m going to try printing on waterslide decal paper, affixing to vinyl backing, and putting epoxy on top after punching the eyes out. I was wondering if anyone has tried this and run into issues (such as delamination of layers) that I should be aware of.

Any other tips or tricks or better methods for making these would be greatly appreciated. Also if you have examples of your work I’d love to see it. Thanks guys!

Dan

Edited by danthefisherman

I tried making eyes with 1/2 hour and slow curing epoxy and still get bubbles. I just got some UV resin and did a test and it still seems cloudy. BUT, I may being doing something wrong. I even tried using a torch to pop the bubbles……and needless the say, that did not end well. 

I order clear plastic doll eyes from aliexpress. I cut off the stem and sand them level then paint the back the color I want. I am sure you could also use some type of reflective decals the same way I use paint. 

C821BD1A-6EBA-438C-84C9-0A07E061D36A.jpeg

C7E99BA3-91F0-4AB3-8EF7-1D557CBDB37F.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Have you googled "realistic 3D fish eyes" and also search ebay for same?  There are some very good looking eyes out there in many different sizes.  There are also videos out there for how to make your own by photo editing real fish eyes that you should check out if you haven't already.  I have made some when I needed a specific color and size and they turned out ok but I also had the bubbles problem.

Barry

• Like 2

Go to the tutorial section of this form.  There is some great information about how to make lure eyes.  I forget who walked me through it.  But I was able to use a version of photo editing software and make my own holographic water slide decals with eyes, then drop epoxy on the eyes to get that 3d shape.  I'll see if I can find the links.

• Like 1