Jim jarreau

Curl tail grubs

I’m looking at a 5” curly tail grub mold from Epic molds and was wondering if anyone has tried this lure and how much tail action it has at slow speeds. I would like to find a mold like the kalins 5” lunker grub because it has a very thin curl tail with a lot of action even on slow retrieves. So for in my search the epic 5” curly tail looks close. 

I make a lot of grubs and I find it’s not so much the mold but the plastic that adds the tail action. I use mostly MF soft sinking and I have found I get very little tail action.

I am moving my grub making up to medium with a bit of hardener. The tails made with soft just seem to straighten out and and just drag through the water. 
I’ve had my grub molds - 4” single tail and 5” double for a few years now and can’t remember who made them

One I believe is Delmart -long gone. And maybe lure craft for the single tail.

9 minutes ago, Tiderunner said:

I make a lot of grubs and I find it’s not so much the mold but the plastic that adds the tail action. I use mostly MF soft sinking and I have found I get very little tail action.

I am moving my grub making up to medium with a bit of hardener. The tails made with soft just seem to straighten out and and just drag through the water. 
I’ve had my grub molds - 4” single tail and 5” double for a few years now and can’t remember who made them

One I believe is Delmart -long gone. And maybe lure craft for the single tail.

Now THIS.......is pretty much dead on.  Every word of it. 

Grubs were one of very few baits that I amped up the plastic.  I used MF super soft back in the day.  Don't know what "soft sinking" is?  Here on the west coast, guys wanted stuff SOFT.........but my grubs would tear up too easily......and they let me know it.  Once I went to medium, problem solved. 

If Epic molds looks like Kalin's, buy it.  THEN mess around with the plastic until you get the action you need. 

Oh and nailed it with Lure Craft.  Tons of awesome single tail grubs.  And Del's stuff was unmatched.  Peace :-)

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Darkman said:

Take a look at Angling AI

they have great grubs, you won’t have a venting problem either, they make mold right. 

Yes they do.  I traded a 4" heart throb hula grub mold for some crappie molds about a month ago only because i wasn't using it. It was like every other mold i have from Josh & it was outstanding. Ain't going wrong with angling ai for sure. 

• Like 1