Howard Capone

My personal Best, White on White. Can you do better?

The ball bearing swivel is held in a small square. I was tired of the pike pulling the willow leaf off. Note never put a black dot ️ on a white blade, a blade doesn’t have a hook. I have had pike and musky hold on to a blade all the way to the boat and let go at the last minute.
 86 strands in the skirt, chartreuse gives it a lateral line. Speed up and slow down disrupts the line and causes a strike. The skirt length is long enough to hide the stinger hook. Slide the stinger on and place the plastic tube on after to keep the hook loose in the skirt. A three inch twister tail sticks out the bottom and provides movement when you slow down. The ball bearing swivel allows the willow to spin on the way down. Bend the blades so they propeller easily, another trick. 
 Fish this fast or slow. The modifications work best on a slow retrieve. You can fish this like a jig, the bait will start to have movement as soon as it hits the water. The skirt strands flex on slow jerks and resemble a fish in distress. 
 Worked on this lure and the modifications for ten years, it was always my secret but I am sharing it with you. The original started with an old man in the Kalamazoo Michigan area were it was used against Kevin VanDam when he was a young man. On some evenings this lure beat Kevin in his own backyard. When the man passed, the lure was no longer available so I was forced to purchase the parts from Jann’s Netcraft and started to build my version and make modifications.
The skirt with 86 strands was changed when the white rubber changed, originally it was 96 strands of flat rubber. The outside diameter is the same now but the round rubber is stiffer. Food grade silicone will soften the skirt especially after it’s been fished with.

so that’s it, everything I did for ten years to take something that was good and made it a little better. This lure will catch fish!

I have been known to cut the skirt back to the short length of the original lure and remove the stinger. I have also tied the skirt with chartreuse on top and white on the bottom the two tone works well in murky water. Hammered copper blades work well in the river water. Copper resembles crayfish.

so my question is, did I miss anything when it comes to spinner baits? 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 3

It will be hard to beat it, buy I'm gonna give it a shot! Gonna take my friend with me as well, we're gonna compere who will catch more. The bait won't be a problem, we will try a little different to see which one will work better from the recommended. I have a fishing tackle shop near me, and it's very easy to get all the equipment and details that I need when I go fishing. Only when I travel somewhere else I can feel how hard it is when you don't have a place to buy all the stuff and you have to wait for delivery.

Edited by nightfae
  • Like 1

On 7/6/2022 at 6:28 PM, Painter1 said:

Thanks for sharing.  That looks great.  I fish a clear water Ozark reservoir and a bait like that might be just right for big Fall bass.  Do you attach the twister tail to the stinger hook?  In what way do you bend the blades? 

Put the three inch twister tail through the middle of the stinger hook. Place the rubber piece on the main hook after the stinger is slid on, let’s the stinger hook go left and right, moving freely.
 A gentle twist in the middle of the blades makes the blades move with less resistance. I hope this helps. The ball bearing swivel allows the blade to rotate as the bait falls. The bent blades start the blades turning sooner and the strike zone of the bait can be improved by the bait action working instead of the bait falling and the first few feet without blade movement.

I hope this helps.