mark poulson

salvaging weakened/broken spinnerbaits

I'm sorry if this is the wrong forum for this, but it is wire bait related.

I fish spinnerbaits on the CA Delta a lot.  Even though I wrap wire around the R bend, they do eventually get weak and bend out.

I've figured out how to salvage them, because they are still good enough to fish.

I cut the weakened wire at the R bend, grab the remaining wire about 1/4" in front of the head with a pair of round jawed pliers.  I hold the wire near the cut off R bend with needle nosed vise grips, and wrap the wire  back down over the round bend pliers, forming a loop that's in line with the hook, and just beginning down past the wire.

I put the wire loop that's formed into the sooth jaws of a bench vise, and then use the wise grips to wrap the wire tag end around the wire between the loop and the head, forming a closed eye loop.  I try and wrap it twice around, just to play safe. 

Once I've removed the vise grips and made sure the eye is straight, I use a dremel with a cut off wheel to trim off the excess close to the main wire.

And now I have a swim jig!

Since I wire wrap my skirts, and the head's paint job is seldom damaged, it's ready to fish, except for the weed guard, which I make from weed whacker plastic wire that I super into into a hole I drill in the top of the bait's head.

I can also put a chatter bait blade onto the wire once the loop is started, but not yet wrapped around the main wire shaft.

Just stuff to do with old, tired spinnerbaits.

converted spinnerbait.jpg

Edited by mark poulson
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, Chris Catignani said:

Love it Mark...I actually have some of the older vs of spinner baits that have the wrapped wire tie (no R) and actually tend to prefer these. 

Chris, I have used those, too, but they have heavier gauged wire, and don't seem to vibrate as much.

I got "hooked" on R bend spinnerbaits from the original Revenge baits made by Ray M.  He used lighter wire to get more vibration, and they were fish catchers, but they did break a lot more often.  That was before I wire wrapped the R bend to keep them from opening up as easily.  If you wrap the R bend, they won't open up nearly as much.

6 hours ago, Jig Man said:

I do the same thing.  I use floral wire.  I just wrap a few turns around the R and cover it with heat shrink tubing.

4A05E652-FCD9-45FA-9213-469FCDB43053.jpeg

Smart!  I never thought about shrink wrap, but I'll try it now.

I figured someone else would have done it, too, but I never read about it anywhere, so I just thought I'd share.

Ever since I had a 5lber eat the blades only, and get both the main hook and the trailer hook in it's underjaw instead of in it's mouth, I've been closing the blade wire before I wrap the R bend, so the blade vibe is closer to the bait and hook.  I want them to focus on the part with the hook in it.

Edited by mark poulson

On 6/12/2022 at 6:18 PM, Jig Man said:

The wire got caught on my line a few times so I decided to cover it.  I sometimes use braided line instead of wire and the shrink tubing helps keep it in place.

I've been adding a couple of drops of super glue to lock the wired, and smooth the coils.

I'll be looking for some shrink wrap online.  What size do you use?