KnotTied

Assembling Jointed Wooden Thru-Wire Muskie Bait

Hello, I'm new to this forum & looking for advice on building wooden jointed thru-wire muskie baits.

We've had some success building 1 piece 8" & 10" wooden muskie baits & would like to venture into building a jointed model.

My question is how to join the 2 pieces together with a tight gap between the wire loops?

I would like the space to be close enough so we get a bit of "knocking noise' from the side to side action.

My first attempts have the space too wide for our liking.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

You just have to join the rear and front wire harness together before installing them into your body sections.

any other steps really depend on the method of through wire you choose to do

for the knock it’s more about the style of joint you cut in the body. A v style joint will work to create a knock and the cadence/movement of the rear section will depend on how much space you leave for movement. 

HV,

If harness' are joined prior to install, I'm thinking the rear wire can be twisted into a hook hanger after pushed through the rear body section. I typically finish this portion by covering the wire twist with epoxy for aesthetics.

But I'm at a loss on how to install the front wire, especially if the wire goes through a lip?

Is there another method I'm not figuring out?

PS: We were totally beat up fishing Lake of Two Mountains near Montreal for the opening first 3 days. High water, high winds & 2 week late vegetation.

17 minutes ago, KnotTied said:

HV,

If harness' are joined prior to install, I'm thinking the rear wire can be twisted into a hook hanger after pushed through the rear body section. I typically finish this portion by covering the wire twist with epoxy for aesthetics.

But I'm at a loss on how to install the front wire, especially if the wire goes through a lip?

Is there another method I'm not figuring out?

PS: We were totally beat up fishing Lake of Two Mountains near Montreal for the opening first 3 days. High water, high winds & 2 week late vegetation.

So I assume the through wire method you are using is drilling through the body rather then a slot cut in the belly or back?

if I am correct I would assemble the front half of the bait, then attach the the rear wire, push it through the rear section and twist up your rear loop as you mentioned 

wish I was far enough to fish musky easily but being in Alberta I settle for pike 

Yes, I'm using the drill method vs slot. Once the front section is complete, I'll do like you suggest by twisting the rear loop tight after pushing it through the tail.

I'll try to keep the joint "V" or concave/convex vs flat shaped to get the most knocking.

I think it would be difficult to seal, paint & epoxy after assembly, so we'll have the final finish completed & then epoxy the rear wire harness holes.

Thought I may have a shot to fish for your awesome pike about 7 years ago while working the Tar Sands refineries north of Ft Mack, but the massive wildfires chased us out, no chance to fish. Those fires also pushed me into retirement = lots more fishing time here on St Lawrence River

Thanks

ill try to put a pic up later if this does not make sense.

if you are thinking a jointed bait like a wiley or what not, you can make open loops that the tag end goes back into the bait and tight wrap the other end to pull the open end tight into the bait. Then do the opposite on the other body part. There are a couple of good videos on youtube that show this. try searching saltwater lure building.

This make a solid tight thru wire joint.

• Like 1