SwampCracker

Best Plastisol for Beginner?

7 minutes ago, SwampCracker said:

What would be a good beginner plastisol to use? I've seen Dead on, Lureworks and Bait Plastics but I don't know which would be best. I am planning on making paddle tails for inshore salt fishing to start out with. 

Each of those companies have product line-ups in regards to density starting from super soft plastic (think ned worms and stuff you want to have a lot of wiggle) to hard soft plastic (think saltwater soft plastics that can handle the bite). using super soft will give you a lot of action but they will be ripped up easily while a harder density plastic will have less action but will be more dense and not get ripped up as easy. all plastic manufacturers will have a soft, medium and hard grade plastic. The plastic formulation is what varies from company to company. some companies like MF provide really clear plastic, however you pay for that in cost per gallon while other companies like dead-on offer the gallon at a cheaper rate but some might say the quality isnt there, however some like that it is phthalate free. I personally use MF and Bait plastics Saltwater blend as I need a more durable plastic. Bait plastics has been an all around great plastic to work with but some might say that the odor/fumes while cooking it is too strong and the plastic when creating a clear bait tends to fog up some while it cures. I would recommend you try bait plastics medium or saltwater blend to start with and as you have time and money, get a gallon or two here of the other guys stuff and see what qualities you like best of each plastic. You can see my experience with dead on in one of my previous posts about my tubes ripping up constantly. 

• Like 1

If you're truly a beginner, I suggest that you take the time to learn as much as you can before you start.

Read the three or four threads at the top of the Soft Baits Forum.  They include how to stuff, and also how to avoid being hurt while you're making baits. 

There are also You Tube videos that share helpful info.

We all learned from others, but also from our own mistakes. 

A little research before you begin can help you avoid costly, and even painful, mistakes. 

No need to buy gallons I’d you’re just starting out. Quarts are available too. 
some suppliers also sell sample packs of three different types. 
Been a while since I bought one of those so the company name escapes me. Maybe another member can help? 
FWIW… after a number of years making baits and trying at least a gallon of most of the brands, I keep going back to MF plastics.

• Like 1

My favorite mold company is Angling AI. 

I have used most of the plastisol brands and for me, a hobby maker, bait plastics is a good blend of value and workability. No it's not as clear as MF and not as cheap as some others but it works for me. If I was selling, I'd probably stick with MF.

Edited by FrogAddict

As far as molds go i like basstackle, angling ai, fatguys fishing & i have several molds form do-it molds in both cnc & essential serires molds & like them all. I have a few artificial stone  jig trailer molds  from bugmolds.net out of the ukraine & they're good for whay they are too. Jacobs mold & machine make some very good crappie lure molds along with fatguys fishing too. Pretty much every mold maker has something that a person will like in different molds so shop around & buy only what you know you'll fish all the time & you won't get nearly as  overwelmed by the cost of it because it's not a cheap hobby at all.  My first molds were a baby brush hog & a super hog style molds & i've made several hundred lures with each. Now i have a bunch of molds but know i fish them all so i'm good with that. 

Bait plastics is Unusable , I pour transparent colors .

I Tried their 242 & 262 ( Ultra Clear ) and it fogs up, develops a terrible Smokey haze as it cures.

How in the world can they call it "Ultra Clear" ? its worse than the cheapest garbage.

I Contacted them and they were aware of this issue, they asked me to try again & not use heat stabilizer so I did & the same crap developed.I wanted this stuff to work buts its crap, "Ultra Clear" ?? What ?

So Disappointed...20 gallons of useless plastic sitting in my basement now. 

On 1/31/2024 at 6:06 PM, searunrainbows said:

Bait plastics is Unusable , I pour transparent colors .

I Tried their 242 & 262 ( Ultra Clear ) and it fogs up, develops a terrible Smokey haze as it cures.

How in the world can they call it "Ultra Clear" ? its worse than the cheapest garbage.

I Contacted them and they were aware of this issue, they asked me to try again & not use heat stabilizer so I did & the same crap developed.I wanted this stuff to work buts its crap, "Ultra Clear" ?? What ?

So Disappointed...20 gallons of useless plastic sitting in my basement now. 

Still have it?