Hillbilly voodoo

Alumilite uv clear

So finally found a good source for uv clear so decided to give it a try

I have had two small batches with the same issue. First coat goes on perfect but second adheres blotchy 

Well researching issues I seen mention that it drys too slick is why the second coat is not adhering properly. But I didn’t find any information on the correct process for applying multiple coats. I am thinking lite scuffing with fine sandpaper might do it but figured I would ask here first

So what what method have you used successfully to apply multiple coats?

@Anglinarcher where are you as I have a feeling you have the answer I seek

I like to use fine steel wool as opposed to fine sandpaper when I need to scuff up the surface for  a second coat.  You can get 0000 steel wool and I think that if you just get the shine off it provides enough "bite" for the next coat.  Sometimes if I use fine sandpaper, it takes off more than I want and has damaged my paint requiring me to start over.  After the steel wool I use a cotton ball soaked with denatured alcohol to wipe it down before applying the next coat.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, barrybait said:

I like to use fine steel wool as opposed to fine sandpaper when I need to scuff up the surface for  a second coat.  You can get 0000 steel wool and I think that if you just get the shine off it provides enough "bite" for the next coat.  Sometimes if I use fine sandpaper, it takes off more than I want and has damaged my paint requiring me to start over.  After the steel wool I use a cotton ball soaked with denatured alcohol to wipe it down before applying the next coat.

I assume this is the process you are using with alumilite uv ?

The engineered angler and Marlin use UV and I could be wrong but I think they only use one thick coat unless they apply paint in between coats. I have always been curious myself how UV works and how multiple coats can be applied.  I know with regular brush on clear I have to apply before it’s fully cured or scuff it up with 400 grit. 

I have some baits with single coats and poorly done 2 coats I am taking for pike in northern Saskatchewan so the durability will get tested 

Was hoping for someone with first hand experience doing multiple coats of alumilite uv to chime in. But if there is no response by the time I get back from my trip I will just test things myself 

On 6/26/2022 at 8:36 PM, Hillbilly voodoo said:

So finally found a good source for uv clear so decided to give it a try

I have had two small batches with the same issue. First coat goes on perfect but second adheres blotchy 

Well researching issues I seen mention that it drys too slick is why the second coat is not adhering properly. But I didn’t find any information on the correct process for applying multiple coats. I am thinking lite scuffing with fine sandpaper might do it but figured I would ask here first

So what what method have you used successfully to apply multiple coats?

@Anglinarcher where are you as I have a feeling you have the answer I seek

Sorry, off for a while.  IF I feel a need for a 2nd coat, I rub it with alcohol to clean any oil from it and just apply.  No scuffing necessary.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Nathan said:

Hillbilly,

I’ve used the brush on formula and it works great. Multiple coats aren’t a issue..Nathan

3FB9DCA3-BFC0-4B17-9D60-87CC241D4D81.jpeg

EE8FB335-3AFC-4E69-B3AE-A692F87086DB.jpeg

Availability and shipping costs make solarez a no go for me

Alumilite uv resin seems good just needed to figure out this one issue. It cuts down build time nicely 

every clear coat I have used takes a few tries to work out the quirks so I am not worried