mark poulson

painting on highlites and glitter

I'd like to try adding some highlite powder or glitter onto the inside face of my swimbait molds before I pour them, to get more detail.

What can I use as a carrier for the powder or glitter?

Will just spraying the mold with PAM allow the powder or glue to stick long enough to get it onto the face of the swimbait, instead of just slipping down and into the hot plastic?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Hi Mark, I was thinking to do the same with open silicone molds or 2 halves silicone molds. With silicone I don't think that it's necessary a carrirer, it should be sufficient to sponge the powder upon its surface. Instead with alluminium molds It could be useful to appl, with a brush, paper glue from a stick. In past I used paper stick glue to fix inside mold's inner sides the mylar net.

Bye Cami

Edited by Cami
  • Like 1

I think you may be able to just pick up a little hilite or Pearl powder on a hair brush and apply it directly to your cavity. I haven’t tried using it that way but have brushed it on plastic swimbaits. If you have some hilite powder or Pearl powder it will take a couple minutes to find out. Let us know how it works. 

2 hours ago, mark poulson said:

I know, I know.  I'm just lazy.  Hahaha

LOL this actually sounds like a really cool idea and can't wait to see if it works out for ya!  My crazy mind has come up with countless plastic ideas, but this is a new one for me.  Good luck!! 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Apdriver said:

That’s a cool technique and the baits look amazing. Pretty time consuming, though.

I agree.  That's why I was hoping I could find a way to just "paint" the color on the inside of the mold before I poured my plastic, and have it still stick to the plastic.  That would be much simpler and easier.

I guess I'll have to just give it a try at some point soon.  Fingers crossed.