Lochie

Resin fish eyeing

Hello

After 2 years of constant problems with my clear coats and nothing working, I am hoping someone will be able to shed some light on my problems. I’ve tried multiple different brands of resin but they are all fish eyeing.

The process I do when making my lures.

Step 1: carve and shape lure

Step 2: apply 2 coats of resin

step 3: lightly scuff lure then wipe with wax and grease remover

step 4: wear latex gloves then paint lures using Createx

step 5: apply a coat of resin

This is when I’m having problems with it fish eyeing. I live in a tropical area where the humidity is relatively high. I work in the garage so a dehumidifier might not work. Do you reckon if I put a little bit of acetone in the resin this will thin it down and help with the fisheyes? 

Any help will be appreciated as I am at a loss of what I can do.

Thanks Lochie

4FC316BA-2DCB-4875-AE1D-5F967BC2538F.jpeg

71CD9B66-8330-4730-82CA-9F17435A0254.jpeg

73AA11A1-BE97-470F-BD6A-05ADE17A587C.jpeg

69F1D75F-1239-4EDB-946B-368F3E98F4A4.jpeg

C88A6672-9953-4400-B7FF-628B8B87158C.jpeg

B3B296B9-3B6B-4852-AC65-7655702FBF5D.jpeg

I do the same, except that I don't us wax and grease remover.  I wipe down with acetone or denatured alcohol.

I would try changing that first, and see if that helps.

The other thing I would do is make sure my Createx is really dry by using multiple thin coats, and drying each coat with my hair dryer.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, mark poulson said:

I do the same, except that I don't us wax and grease remover.  I wipe down with acetone or denatured alcohol.

I would try changing that first, and see if that helps.

The other thing I would do is make sure my Createx is really dry by using multiple thin coats, and drying each coat with my hair dryer.

Thanks heaps for the reply. I will definitely try wiping the lures down with acetone a few times before painting them and see how that goes. I do make sure the paint is dry prior clear coating, I let them sit either on the bench or infront of the fan while I clean and pack up the painting stuff. 

Cheers

• Like 1

First what type of coating are you using?  Second, I don't think leaving the lures in front of a fan is necessary I think all you are doing is fanning the lure with humid air just heat with a heat gun, flame, hair dryer. I use Etex for my final 2 coats. At times I thin my Etex with denatured alcohol when humid in my basement during summer in the winter not needed humidity down to 35%. Hair dryer for Createx coating flame or heat gun, depends on size of lures, I make mostly Musky lures which I coat with Etex and smaller 6" and under I use KBS.

Wayne

• Like 3

ive had issue similar to that if trying to use faster setting epoxy. it starts to set up before it can evenly flow.

not sure what you are using. id try a long curing like tru coat or etex, then mix for five minutes by a timer. thin with a little denatured alcohol if need be and put on the rotator overnight.

With a thicker coat of tru coat i can actually see the epoxy leveling out when rotating for several minutes before it evens out, then its just about cure time.

• Like 1

On 7/19/2022 at 10:30 PM, ravenlures said:

First what type of coating are you using?  Second, I don't think leaving the lures in front of a fan is necessary I think all you are doing is fanning the lure with humid air just heat with a heat gun, flame, hair dryer. I use Etex for my final 2 coats. At times I thin my Etex with denatured alcohol when humid in my basement during summer in the winter not needed humidity down to 35%. Hair dryer for Createx coating flame or heat gun, depends on size of lures, I make mostly Musky lures which I coat with Etex and smaller 6" and under I use KBS.

Wayne

Hey mate, I’m in Australia and I’m just using Fibre Finish. It’s a 2:1 part resin and cures in 8 hours. I’ve recently made a new lure and tried some new stuff. I tried a shot glass, stainless steel wire to mix, a new brush and left the lure for a week before clear coating. There were no fish eyes for probably an hour, then when I checked it the next morning there are literally hundreds of fish eyes. 

Thanks for the reply

On 7/19/2022 at 10:49 PM, Outlaw4 said:

ive had issue similar to that if trying to use faster setting epoxy. it starts to set up before it can evenly flow.

not sure what you are using. id try a long curing like tru coat or etex, then mix for five minutes by a timer. thin with a little denatured alcohol if need be and put on the rotator overnight.

With a thicker coat of tru coat i can actually see the epoxy leveling out when rotating for several minutes before it evens out, then its just about cure time.

Hey mate, the resin that I’m using is a 2:1 part resin and cures in 8 hours. 

Thanks