Jig Man

Reducing the flow

I recently modified a mold.  I am getting some flash around the heads on some cavities.  In another thread smalljaw mentioned considering doing that with one of his molds but wound up with another solution.  The eyelets are siliconed and the mold surface had been thoroughly scraped and cleaned.  Have any of you reduced the lead flow to combat flashing?  If so how did it work?

I am also wondering about lowering the heat.  I’m using hard lead so I’ve had it over 700°.

Edited by Jig Man

I would never try and slow the flow for flashing. Maybe the hook or part is not allowing for the mold to close completely. Try and put hooks/parts in the mold and close the mold in a vise. Look for shiny areas where it rubs. Adjust if needed. You may not need too.  

• Like 2

Jig Man, my Midwest finesse jig mold was the culprit. As soon as the mold got hot the lead would flow around the eye every time. I first tried slowing the flow and it helped a little bit.

It would still fill in the hook eye but not as much. I slowed it down a little more and then the head wasn't filling out. I ended up using RTV silicone to fill in the hook eye and that fixed the issue. 

Your problem sounds a little different. It sounds like the mold isn't closing all the way. The only way to really know is to try one thing at a time. Start with the easiest, slowing the flow and then go from there.

• Like 1

This is the Midwest finesse mold modified to take regular Ned hooks as well as Victory and VMC ewg hooks.  The mold seems to close tight enough but I will put a hook in each slot and use a vice to be sure.

What do you guys think about lowering the heat? 

Edited by Jig Man

I did 3 things,  lowered the heat, lowered the flow and used my big shop vicel. I put a VMC 2/0 ewg hook in each slot and cranked the vice tight.  When I poured it was a lot better until I got to the 1/16 and 3/32 cavities.  They would not pour so I increased the flow.  Things are looking pretty good.

Thanks for the suggestions.

1C21701C-389D-4EF1-9760-2A01A6C55174.jpeg

Edited by Jig Man
  • Like 1