chachybaby

Paint booth setup non-ventilated area

Hi all

Looking to start painting crankbaits indoors in my basement. I had questions on the set up since it is a non ventilated area with no windows.  I have small bench near my laundry area.

For those painting in a basement or similar indoor setup, how do you set up your stations? Are you wearing a mask? If so which one. Do you have another means to push the air away from the booth etc.

Thanks in advance to all that provide input on this.

I would build my spray booth so that it sucks in all of the over spray  and runs the air through something like a furnace filter. if you run any oil paints or organic solvents you would have to  run the air through a carbon filter too.

A respirator is not a bad idea, but it could give a a false sense of security. Because paint that does not end up on the lure or the back of the spray booth is now dust in you work area.  If there is a health threat in acrylic paints it's probably the various salts used for pigments so managing that dust in a small enclosed area is probably the way to go.

So add a filtering system to you spray booth area and you should be golden.

• Like 1

I only use water based paints and I still use a filter booth.

20 inch fan attached to a storage container with a furnace filter attached to the opposite side.

If you're going to paint/finish in a basement it would be a good idea to pipe fumes out of the basement. Most finishes are pretty bad stuff.

The other problem I see would be high humidity in the basement.

• Like 1

On 8/4/2022 at 7:00 AM, chachybaby said:

Hi all

Looking to start painting crankbaits indoors in my basement. I had questions on the set up since it is a non ventilated area with no windows.  I have small bench near my laundry area.

For those painting in a basement or similar indoor setup, how do you set up your stations? Are you wearing a mask? If so which one. Do you have another means to push the air away from the booth etc.

Thanks in advance to all that provide input on this.

If your dryer has a vent to the outside, maybe you could into it somehow with a Y.  Just be sure you have gates that will keep the two vent lines separated, and don't paint while the dryer is running.

• Like 1

My dryer vent detaches easily from the inside. I have some extra dryer vent material that I run from my spray booth to the dryer vent with a small vent fan to pull the air. 

Someone gave me a hobby spray station that has a filter and fan included, which is really neat.

If you have an outdoor garage like I do, you should be fine I think. But in your situation, you do not have one. I would do what all the others are saying so that you can limit breathing toxic chemicals. You should also do this when clear coating with epoxy. The fumes from the epoxy can also be toxic.