Flaswimbaiter

Glitter for Resin

I've done a fair amount of work with glitter in my epoxy.  As a base coat before paint, you can put almost any type of glitter you can imagine.  I've used the cheap stuff from the dollar store, all the way up to the expensive metallic pigment.  They all work.  The larger size the glitter is, the harder it is to get a smooth surface overall.  The pigment can be added over the top of paint to give the epoxy a tint kinda.  Even a small amount of regular glitter works over top of paint.

I'll see if I can dig up some pics.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, eastman03 said:

I've done a fair amount of work with glitter in my epoxy.  As a base coat before paint, you can put almost any type of glitter you can imagine.  I've used the cheap stuff from the dollar store, all the way up to the expensive metallic pigment.  They all work.  The larger size the glitter is, the harder it is to get a smooth surface overall.  The pigment can be added over the top of paint to give the epoxy a tint kinda.  Even a small amount of regular glitter works over top of paint.

I'll see if I can dig up some pics.  

Not sure why, but I had the impression that glitter too big would affect the curing of the resin. Have you ever used on a final coat? 

One thing I like to add to epoxy is pearl powder (DoIt). I will add the tiniest amount...like on the head of a tooth pick.

Once you see this in the sun...it just POPS! This is the same pearl powder you use in plastic.

The photo is a little deceiving as some of the reflections are make a boca effect.

DSC07386.thumb.JPG.3b37d7762c54588a9b44c72c69964c30.JPG

• Like 3

I agree with Chris, that's a great technique and it will look much better in the resin compared to in the paint. hobby glitter is fine. 

on the Glitters I've never had a problem with any of them with any clear coats. The only problems is with hot plastisol and you have to use special high temp glitters there. 

• Like 1

I've only done this once, but I have some gold powder paint that I mixed into epoxy. I had some in a cup for coating some jig heads, and when I poured the cup back into the main container there was some left in it. I added epoxy and coated a couple lures.  It looks good so far!

410044630_GlitterTopCoat.jpg

• Like 3

On 8/11/2022 at 10:33 PM, eastman03 said:

I love adding glitter to a base coat. It may just be me, I don’t have much evidence. But I feel like it makes the base cost of epoxy more resilient to chipping/damage. Could that be possible?

yes. its like adding filler to epoxy. makes perfect sense to me

this winter i am going to work on adding titanium dioxide to epoxy base coats. hopefully get a white super hard base as the pigment kind of works like epoxy filler (i hope lol)

• Like 1

Using the fine Black Diamond glitter can really make your paint jobs pop. I like to do it on most of my topcoats. It's fine enough not to make any problems with the clearcoat, as long as you use just a little. One thing is to know what color glitters go with certain paint jobs. Like the more silvery glitters are good for a shad or maybe a trout. If you get the wrong color it really looks depressing, Lol.  https://amzn.to/3imvMsZ This stuff works pretty good, just remember that it is good as an accent and not a colorant. 

I'll have to get some pictures of ones I've done.

• Like 1

On 11/28/2022 at 11:48 AM, Outlaw4 said:

yes. its like adding filler to epoxy. makes perfect sense to me

this winter i am going to work on adding titanium dioxide to epoxy base coats. hopefully get a white super hard base as the pigment kind of works like epoxy filler (i hope lol)

Just a word of caution when adding pigment. Do so just a little at a time. Its been my experience that you only need a little. Its also been my experience that the epoxy doesn't set up right if there is too much pigment.

• Like 2